Accessed None Error from Epic Inventory Tutorial

Hey guys,

I’ve been following this tutorial by Epic for how to create a Drag and Drop inventory: Drag & Drop with UMG | 03 | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube

Everything has been great until the 3rd video, where as far as I can tell I’ve matched the tutorial exactly, but it’s returning the following error:

Error Blueprint Runtime Error: Accessed None trying to read property ControllerReference from function: ‘ExecuteUbergraph_PickUp’ from node: Inventory Check in graph: EventGraph in object: PickUp with description: Accessed None trying to read property ControllerReference

I check and I see my Controller Reference is set to None, but have no idea how to resolve that.

Any ideas? I’ve read some people saying an Is Valid check will solve the issue, but I can’t seem to get that to work.

Thanks in advance!

With further debugging it seems my Inventory Check is to blame. If I bypass the inventory check it picks the item up just fine. Not sure what to do from here, but I’ll keep trying.

I thought I had an epiphany last night, but I was wrong. I realized the only place I differed from the tutorial was in the number of buttons, and that there are some buttons that aren’t hooked up to anything yet.

I was wrong, it still doesn’t work. I’ll keep trying. I keep shifting focus away from the error because I don’t know what to do with the error. Like what am I failing to initialize, everything looks right to me.

Got a hint that my Casting is wrong in the above screenshots, so I changed it to cast to MyPlayerController and updated all my references but still same issue.

Solved it!

I forgot to go into my game mode and set the default player class as my custom player class.