Access none parent variable, set in child

I use some movement event logic on my base character which is a character class then i create a child from this class. The parent class has a variable to a component that has movement logic. I’m using a playercontroller which has the component loaded on it and it controlls the child character. I set the child variable referencing the component variable inherited from the parent. I keep getting a error that the parent BP variable is not set, access none reading variable. The game mode and and player controller reference the child and set the variable in the child, the logic is in the parent. Not sure how or why i need to set a variable in the parent if its reference in the child actor?

Wherever you are setting the ALS_Component, make a print string of its content, just to be sure, it’s not None.

Yeah i did that, found out the hard way when i first learned UE4 when i cast or create an object to store it in memory for reference, and use a print string to see what is stored. Like assign input key D for debug as i play in PIE i hit D to make sure the relevant variables print the correct output.
What i realize is when i was prototyping my code i had reference to parent and child, so somewhere in my blueprint there is a reference to the parent class and trying to get a reference to that variable is failing because i’m setting it in the child.
Found these references about using reference viewer for the object, and some console commands, but i’m not seeing where the variable is set or reference at for the parent. Thanks though for answering.

Might not work but for me i set the variable that wasn’t passing to the children to private, compiled, unchecked it and compiled and it worked

This worked for me. Thank you!