Acceleration based movement? (Mechwarrior / Earthsiege style)

Howdy,

I’m trying to set up a Mechwarrior / Earthsiege style acceleration for my character(s). This would involve setting a throttle amount (holding forward / reverse keys until it reaches the desired amount) and the character accelerating to match that speed.

I’ve been able to find some things that are close, but the last thing I could find was from 2016 and doesn’t seem to fully work ([The Thread For Reference])(Mechwarrior Style Acceleration). This version will increase the throttle setting, but not change the character speed.

I’ve been beating my head against the wall and would appreciate any direction I could get. Thank you in advance!

MechMove.zip (536.0 KB)

It’s pretty basic but it might be a starting point for further development.

Hey 3dRaven!

Thanks for the quick response, it’s definitely what I’m looking for. It’ll be a great place for me to iterate from.

Thanks again!

Just add an additional level of indirection.

Each step, check the input, and change your “current target speed” up or down by tick time times input.

Then, measure current speed, compare to target speed, and make the movement controller take the delta as movement input.

Display the output of step 1 as “throttle” and the actual velocity as “speed.”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.