Absolutely new at character creation for UE - any pointers?

Hello.

I am at the point in my project where I am ready to add at least one custom character. I’d like to learn how to create my characters from scratch, either through Metahuman or other, including their clothing, as this is a fantasy-based game and I will need a small variety of races (human, elf, etc).

As I said, I am terribly inexperienced at this and am HORRIBLE at Blender but I am looking for good tutorials that will help me get to where I want to be.

Thanks in advance!

Metauman = not from scratch.

Its a 3 year process.

If you are serious about it start off with studying anatomy enough that when someone discusses a metacarpal you at least sort of know what area of the skeleton you are dealing with.

should you already be versed in anatomy, the next step is to learn how to sculpt high detailed anatomy on blender.

The next would be to learn how to simplify and re-mesh anatomy by hand.

After that, assuming you have a model sculpted in somewhat of an entierty you have to study up on armature rigging.

After rigging you have to study up on weight painting.

After weight paint you have to get and learn Zbrush to polypaint and bake down some decent textures.

After that. You can learn all about hair cards.

After that, you can start to consider clothing and how to make it (in blender ofc).
This means you should learn how to make clothing patterns and how to sew them together.

After that, you can pribably learn more weight paint, and apex clothing…

After that, you can likely start over again with a new character which is maybe going to work ok.

After that character and whatever else you may need to learn along the way (like texturing in Rhyno?) You can probably start on the first character thats actually going to be usable in a commercial game…

As I said, about 3 years…

1 Like

Well NOPE! LOL