Absolutely disgusted by Marketplace refund policy

If you are saying through the manual process if outside the official policy but the seller agree’s to it that Epic also returns their cut then great. Still would be nice if there is a system driven way to do this instead of manual. I think your misunderstanding my position, there would never be any random refunds, outside of the official policy, just those that you would agree to refund. If you don’t agree and it’s outside of the official return policy it wouldn’t get refunded.

I am also not suggesting to leave a bad review/rating if the refund is denied. Whether or not you even ask for a refund if you are happy or unhappy with a product, reviews are always helpful. I see no with the original person leaving a comment saying doesn’t work with “X” since they tried it and then giving whatever rating they want. Of course the rating won’t be 5 stars and probably won’t be 1 star either but it will help future buyers know a little bit more about the product before purchase so you can avoid the whole does it work/not work dance and anger on a second buyer. In general, this can be avoided by writing a very detailed product description page, and denying a review for something that’s not in the description is one thing and within the publisher’s rights, but the first customer that actually tests it should absolutely be allowed to put that it doesn’t work for “X” on your page.

Not really based on what I found here: Can I get a refund on a digital download? - Which?
Specifically in the case like this where it sounds like you’ve already downloaded the files, it sounds like the EU law is similar to the rules EPIC has in that the product has to either be advertised incorrectly, or faulty in some way. The exception seems to be that they give you a 14-day grace period, provided you don’t actually download the files, which again sounds like anti-piracy measures.

Steams measures are a bit different, for one unless the product is faulty, you can only get a refund from them if you’ve used the product for less than 2 hours and are within 14 days of purchase. The exception being if things like 1-time use DLCs have been consumed. Now the difference here being, there are DRM measures built into Steam that prevent users from keeping/continuing to use content that they’ve refunded. We don’t have that here, and to be honest I’m not sure of an efficient way to create such a thing that wouldn’t also be an interference to loyal customers.

As soon as you open the book, or take the cellophane off the movie, you are assumed to have consumed it, and cannot return it.
The EPIC marketplace is quite similar.
Also, the price of most things on the marketplace is similar (-ish) to books, DVDs, and Blu-Ray collections.

Buyers Remorse, yes, that’s a thing, but not a thing that digital media companies can afford to accommodate, because a bunch of idiots are ******* in the pool and poisoning the well, and thus we can’t have nice things.
Related to bad buyers spoiling the world for everyone.

Imop if you are spend many money in markeplace, the first refund it could be free of question. A gentelman gesture.

The descriptions some time are confused, I will like to see playing demos.

Caveat Emptor.

However, as the original post has been censored, would the OP consider posting it somewhere online so that it could be read in its original form?

Posting private discussions (and emails) publicly is a violation of the Code of Conduct, specifically rule 4:

I would suggest the OP ignores this request, there was nothing said that isn’t already covered in this thread.

@ was faster than me. 'ninja’d

Dont buy the asset if you dont know whether you will use it (=> problem solved) Finding out whether you will be able to use it or not falls under your own obligation. No one is keeping you from contacting the content creator for information that goes beyond what was advertised.
Besides that: I can understand your wish for Epic rewarding loyal customers, but you agreed to their terms of use. And as far as I know, they did not promise such a thing.

In that regard: Your complaints are not fair. You would be better off voicing your complaints as critics and feedback. This would proove to be a much kinder attempt to make a difference.

I’m sorry that I was not clear. My request was that the uncensored post be posted somewhere other than on these boards. I am not suggesting that he violate this board’s COC.

I’d simply like to read what he had to say. It doesn’t matter to me if anyone at all does not think that I should read what he said. :slight_smile:

He asked for a refund and Epic rejected them per email, justifying their decision. He posted the email. Thats the whole story.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to determine that for myself. :slight_smile:

However, as I don’t actually expect to ever be able to read the uncensored post, the point is moot.

Actually 70% of removed mail was a

[quote from official FAQ]
(https://publish.unrealengine.com/faq), in particular this part:

And some writing from Epic stuff, there was nothing removed what HE had to say

Again, posting that info publicly is against the rules, regardless of where it’s posted (and we are made aware of it). Doing so would result in an infraction on the users profile here, which is something we would prefer to avoid if possible.

This is not an attempt to censor out any information related to this topic, it was simply a short 2 line reply email (along with the quote above by zeOrb) explaining why the request was denied, nothing more. The OP has already mentioned everything contained within it, which could technically be considered discussing private correspondence from Epic, but we don’t want to remove someone’s concerns about a service Epic provides over something this trivial.

At the same time we have to uphold specific rules, to reconcile the two we opted to remove the correspondence rather than censor potential feedback.

I hope you understand our reasoning, we don’t want this to become a bigger deal than it has to. Thanks

As said they basicly denied my request for a refund. The main reason my post was edited was because I mentioned the name of the person who made the decision to deny my refund which I can understand they wouldn’t want that info printed. Again the reason why I was so ****** off is not because of the money but because I requested the refund within a few hours of downloading it, the fact that I had bought a lot of content on the marketplace in the past and that I wasn’t really expecting them to deny the request for the refund. I have emailed them back to further review this and to prove that this isn’t about the money I will happly donate said amount to a charity if I do get a refund and post the proof here and the 1st person to pick a charity can be the one I donate to.

You say that the complaint is not fair. That it is my fault for not doing enough research to see if I could use it (Which was impossible until I bought it) and thats your view which is fair enough. It also seems to be Epics view on how to treat their customers. Is it a smart way to do business? No. They have one ****** off customer who will never buy from the marketplace again. Thus giving up on potential future revenue of hundreds if not thousands of euros to save about €25 right now. If they had even reached back for more information, find out if I tried to contact the seller and then said no I would be less ****** off than the simple copy and paste “The computer said no” response I got. They should do everything they can to protect the seller from piracy but when its clear thats not the case then that can’t be used as a reason not to refund the customer. To give the seller 100% protection and the buyer 0% makes people very reluctant to buy from the store. You are perfectly entitled to have the view of its the customers fault. You decided to buy it if it doesn’t work for you or you don’t have a use for it then tough but if you hold that view then don’t ***** if sales are low because users are nervous to buy assets because they know they have no comeback if something goes wrong.

Well, I would contact the seller, ask what matters to me, and keep it for the record. Would that not be enough? And if you DID reach out for the content creator, who in return provided false information, you should deserve the refund undisputed. (And if I couldnt reach the creator at all, I wouldnt have bought the asset to begin with).
And it is only natural that Epics decision seems fair to me. After all, I havent agreed to their terms of use for no reason.
Nevertheless, reading this thread gave me the impression that there is need for improvement, which is why I suggested that you should have voiced your complain as feedback, hoping that that will resonate more with Epic

@tcla75

Did you reply to that email with the info you have provided here by any ? I don’t know that it would change their mind, but you could try asking them to escalate it to a manager for consideration with this info (especially the part about not being VR ready). Worth a try at least. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I could respond to this from a number of different perspectives, but I’ll choose the Devil’s Advocate perspective here.

I create and sell a different sort of content on an entirely different venue and that content has nothing to do with games. Depending upon a given economic perspective, I make an ok living selling that content.

That other venue’s refund policy is basically this: 1 week no questions asked for a full refund. After that, forget it.

This policy is of course designed to benefit the customer, not the producer.

My content does not have any objectively quantifiable utility and I accept the policy, while I disagree with it for reasons that have no bearing here, with that in mind.

Code and art assets, on the other hand, do have an objective utility in quite a number of ways and I would argue that they are immediately consumed when purchased.

If you bought an apple from the corner store, it would be unreasonable in my opinion to ask for a refund on the core. (What if it has a worm in it? Extra protein. )

I can say with certainty that this is not the case. You’re looking at it from one perspective, but until you see it from both you wouldn’t fully understand.

I did. I explained that I had asked for a refund within a few hours of purchasing the pack and that I had spend hundreds of euros on the marketplace over the last year. I also said I expected a reply either from himself or a supervisor (if there was nothing he could do about it) That was 2 days ago, I’m stilling waiting for a reply.