About first steps as Unreal Engine Developer

Hi everybody,

My name is Hernan, I live in Argentina, I had been a programmer for 30 years (yeah I wrote my first lines of code back in the 90’s, before Windows 95 :stuck_out_tongue: ).

All my life I make code for Enterprises (Embedded devices, System Interfaces, Point of Sales, and stuff like that), the last 2 decades I had work with an ERP called SAP but I really tired of it and I want a change, a real one. I had been an Unreal Enthusiast for 4 years (I did a lot of courses in the Learning Hub and here).

I really want to leave everything behind and restart as a Game Programmer but I have no experience in anything link Game Industries, so I don’t have a clue how to start, where I can look for a job, not even a job rate. I don’t have any troubles to restart as a Junior programmer.

Any advise, tips, links or motivational words will be very appreciated.

Best Regards and thank you in advance

1 Like

Hey @darth_trungus!

Firstly, I suggest having a portfolio of your work! Even if it isn’t in Unreal, it can show your ability to generally accomplish goals. Always be working on a project! Video journaling (taking small videos at milestones) is a great way to show your work!

Secondly, you will likely want to have a profile on job boards or career-based social media! When you make something new, showcase it there! Make sure to use your profile as somewhat of a CV/Resume!

Additionally, don’t be afraid to post in the “Looking for Work?” area of this very forum, and look through the “Looking for Talent” section regularly to see if there’s anything that might be a good fit!

I wish you luck @darth_trungus! You can do this!

1 Like

Hi @Mind-Brain, thanks for yours words.

I’m making some stuff to populate a portfolio, most of my recents jobs are in Abap Language, a very specific language for SAP Platform, some are very technical and others are very user oriented but all of them are for SAP I suppose that are not very useful, what do you think?. Nevertheless I’ll prepare some new stuff in C++ and Unreal (C++ and Blueprint, I have some proficient with both).

About career-based social media, can you suggest me some ? … I only know Linkedin.

Thank you very much for your words. :smiley:

Best Regards