Ability to see what values/data nodes in materials output

I’m not 100% if this is actually possible at the moment but… when working with materials and material functions it would be cool to be able to see the output of nodes. For example if you’re working on a math calculation and sometimes I just want to see what value a node in my calculation chain outputs. The same for when you have a complex chain of nodes that at the end outputs for example a texture map, would be nice to somehow preview that similar to how you can see the output using the output node inside a material function.

Hi nightfrontier,
Thanks for the post, I have been looking into your request. In the case of a texture there is some functionality to support what you are looking for. if you right click on the texture sample node you have several options including “Start Previewing Node” this will replace the preview in the preview window with the output from that node. Unfortunately this feature is not currently available for math expression nodes. I have entered a feature request for this. the Jira ticket is UE-11843 for tracking. If there is anything else that I can assist with just let me know and I would be happy to help.

Heya,

Have you tried out the debug nodes?

Cheers,
Michael Noland

1 Like

When I am building a definition in Grasshopper, I am constantly using a “Panel” node to review outputs. It is absolutely invaluable for both understanding how the software understands what you’ve done so far, and diagnosing problems. Ended up here assuming UE4 had this and I just hadn’t found it yet…