Abandoned Tunnel Scene [WIP]

Those are rendering artifacts and it’s caused by the tessellation LOD method i’m using in the material which lowers the tessellation resolutions depending on the distance of the camera which keeps the performance playable - I’m revamping how i do the Tessellation LOD which should remove those artifacts.

Crack Free Displacement only fixed cracks between UV seams but these show up all over the mesh even if it’s a flat grid.

Here are 3 videos showing scene breakdowns for Vis modes, World Displacement being controlled by VertexPaint Alpha and the Tessellation LOD control, the capture software made the video a bit laggy but it works well enough.

I will have to break them into 3 different posts because of the video per post limit.

VIS (Unlit, Lighting Only, Wireframe and Lit), note the Displacement LOD in Wireframe mode.

Watch in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfempNloIt8

*VertexPaint Alpha World Displacement Control - I painted alpha where i wanted to the ground to be higher then set a maximum and minimum value for height which can be controlled in real-time via a material instance which is what’s going on here.
Watch in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIPyw8OKxYo

Tessellation Multiplier LOD - This controls the resolution of the Tessellation depending on your distance from the object and allows for near/far and max resolution control, in this video i am controlling it in real-time via a material instance.

Watch in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjZBu35UyOs

I’m building a dungeon crawler survival game, and this is making me drool. I’m no artist though, and don’t see myself being able to replicate that awesome material setup for the floor. Do want!

Amazing work!

Thanks! I will be uploading the materials once the scene is complete and i’m sure they’re finalized .

Good luck on your game!

Oh wow, awesome news :slight_smile:

The tessellation setup is also incredibly nice. Seriously great job on this.

***Latest Update ***- I added some place holder sounds as well as some grates with steam bellowing out of them

Watch in HD

The latest video that you have posted looks amazing! Great work so far CharlestonS. I was not expecting the surprise at the end. Reminds me of an Amnesia style environment. Thanks for keeping the community updated as you progress through the development of your tunnel scene. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Thanks! This is actually part of a proof of concept i am making for a game i’m developing - It will be much better once i have all of the details in the scene and the the final high quality sound and ambient music mixed properly.

I am going to have 5-6 of these scenes showcasing various environments from the game and using them as character reveals, i’m also creating a gameplay slice to go along with them - This particular scene is much longer and shows the character up close but i am not revealing any of the characters just yet.

Currently i plan on funding it myself but a few of my friends are venture capitalists that are interested in investing once they see the proof of concept and i may bring them on board so i don’t have to put my own money into the project.

All of the base materials i created and used in this scene are now available for purchase on the marketplace! The pack is called C-Media Advanced Materials Ed. 1 and can be found under the ‘Art’ category as well as in the top 3 featured items on the marketplace. The pack is $20 and you can see more information about it by viewing the submission thread for it here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?37089-Advanced-Material-Pack-Submitted

Watched it in HD and it’s awesome!!! But the pipes on the ceiling look like they had different material quality, Just my opinion

Thanks! Yeah the pipes are the only objects other than the boxes and barrels that aren’t tessellated so they stand out more when they intersect with the structure.

I have decided to start development of a completely new scene using all of the techniques i used for this scene and release it on the community via the marketplace, i ill post a WIP thread for it once it’s far enough along to start showing off.