A wannabe digital nomad

hi there
has anybody here tried living and working abroad? i feel so bored staying where i am right now and long for some change. i imagine it like i can chill by the sea and enjoy the sun and warmth, and do a bit of work. and i’ve read here that Singapore and New Zealand for example are perfect places to move and work from there. not that i want to look for job there, i guess it’s too much for a start. i think of some freelance remote work (to cover up the costs of staying there at least) provided the internet on the beach is good :smiley: though it’s a big step so i’m hoping for some advice from experienced people or if you know some stories :slight_smile: thanks

1 Like

I would recommend not going anywhere… Yet.

To much problems abroad with money, racism, war, politics. (And of course the good old language barrier. :slight_smile: )

New Zealand and the czech republic are nice though! But somewhat expensive, and just don’t even waste time in the east Asian nations. Not really good pay, and places like Vietnam are ruled by communists. (And not very nice to foreigners… This is from experience. Also the living quality is in the gutter.) That never ends well! :frowning: Plus places like singapore are way overcrowded and crime is a real problem.

And as someone who knows a few people in Costa Rica… Not a good place to live. Unless you have plenty of money! (Visiting on the other hand is great.)

Just my 2cents though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve lived and worked in a few countries (and travelled through a significant chunk of the world in the process). As a general rule, it is not always easy to work abroad and you will need to consider legal and visa restrictions before doing it - it’s not as simple as picking up a laptop and just going places.

In my case, being British opened a few doors for me in this regard, I could work anywhere in the EU and there are special considerations in place for working in some commonwealth countries, but not everyone is this fortunate.

1 Like

wow guys, thank you so much for the advice and awesome tips!! though now the world looks not so friendly as it used to :frowning:
Czech Republic is probably the safest option for a start, though there’s no sea nearby as i fancied. though can go to Croatia or Slovenia occasionally. i’ll research this question further, cause there’s really nothing much that ties me to my home

1 Like

I am working in Iceland, and it is abroad for me. Place has good and bad aspects. And you will never know until you try it. So if you can afford a little of adventure go for it, but always keep safe landing spot in your home town. Anyway just go for it if you are still single and without kids, even if you don’t like foreign places it will give you perspective (and nice paragraphs in future CV).

1 Like

i guess i’ll get used to the beach sooner or later so it will not be a problem :smiley: that’s an awesome idea, i should really think about doing it this way, thank you.

Iceland was also my dream some time ago, i even got to study Islenska a bit :cool: but the circumstances changed. Nawrot, do you enjoy it there overall?

1 Like

People are great here, however they can keep distance for quite long time before they accept you as friend, but that probably is trait of all island nations. Work atmosphere is great like in all nordic countries, we are kind of pampered here compared to what i hear goes in US. And those wild nature views just outside city (or while i ride bus to work). So if you do not mind dark rainy and long winter (great time for party) it is fine. And you can make up during summer for all those winter hours indoors. Only bad thing about Iceland now is renting place to stay, we have flood of tourists, everybody builds hotels and rents apartments to tourists.

1 Like

I’m quite glad I visited about 5 years ago before it started to get really touristy.

1 Like

guess the world has just gone crazy about Iceland especially after Euro 2016

1 Like

It’s because it’s cheap to get there now. 6 years ago a flight to Iceland from the UK was about £400, making it a very expensive destination - now you can do it for £30.

I went out there on the very first Easyjet flight from the UK.

1 Like

interesting. read about New Zealand - really unique place. will be a shame if people spoil it like Venice

1 Like

I think this is a very good idea. You need to enjoy life. I went to Asia, bought real estate, and now Im working in IT company

1 Like

Based on my experiences, I enjoy the travels. Three things you should learn as a Digital Nomad: first is, bring your things with you most especially the needed things. Take some notes for that. Second, you should be aware of where to go and stay but if you have an RV, , that’s great. Third, you must be happy to meet new faces, learn how to communicate with them for you to have fun and have friends through your work and fun times.