A 'variable' node in the material editor

I want your babies

I want them more.

Great work Phyronnaz, just what the doctor ordered - hope Epic can accept this PR.

not quite a local variable, just a way of hiding wiring by making it look like a local variable. This ā€œvariableā€ could never have two setters in the same material blueprint.

Totally acceptable compromise in my mind. 99% percent of my cases Iā€™d only want to compute the complicated value once anyway.
Imo, this feature is primarily a usability and legibility feature, not a technical one. Itā€™s still extremely desirable. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its understandable that variables in the shader graph might be confusing since they wont act like BP variables and it might confuse artists, but they are very important to have. Fine if they need to be hidden behind an editor checkbox so inexperienced users dont find them.

Artists have been asking for this as well <_<
We arenā€™t that illiterate :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes please to this

This pull request needs implementing in the engine asap.

+1 would like this functionality, the material editor could do with some tidying up.

It would be great to have it!

Iā€™ve needed this feature in Unreal for over a year now, after discovering it with Amplify Shader Editor, they are winning the race. Is there a reason why Unreal are not adding this feature, will it bulk up their code or too hard to implement?

Isnā€™t that what a parameter is? :expressionless:

EDIT: Nevermind, did not notice this thread had two more pages :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve recently come over to using UE4ā€™s material editor from Amplify Shader Editor and this is one of the biggest things that i hate about UE4 material Editor. I hate it itā€™s so messy. Iā€™ve got no idea why Epic arenā€™t implementing this!!! Please help usssssssssss iā€™m dying here!

GG but the link doens;t work anymore :frowning:

Sure does: you just donā€™t have your github account linked Unreal Engine 4 on GitHub - Unreal Engine

Looks like it has been accepted and merged! When should we expect this to come to the official Unreal releases?

Most likely for the next minor release (4.27).

It does not seem there in 4.27.

Is the name still Create Local Variable?

the name for it is ā€˜named rerouteā€™ - internally itā€™s a reroute node

I donā€™t know if itā€™s there in 4.27 but itā€™s definitely in UE5EA

3 Likes

Just to update, yes it is available in 4.27 as ā€œNamed Rerouteā€ node as @Chosker mentioned.

4 Likes