A silly little FPS aim training thing

After another frustrating evening with Overwatch, I searched youtube for tips on how to get better and I found a video that suggested I click on some randomly appearing bubbles with my mouse. I thought that wasn’t a very good method of practicing aiming, so I made this thing instead.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=71hovsOU27Y

It’s really rough and you might need to read the included readme file I wrote to understand which variable does what, but I feel like it’s still better than clicking on bubbles.
Just a silly little thing born out of frustration, I guess.

I’ll put the download link here as well if anyone wants to improve their mad hax FPS skills.

Click me to go to the download page](https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B1TeXRLC3kR2NHB5SzZQSW1ZSXM&export=download)

Someone commented on my video and found it useful and also had a request, so I added a few things and now it’s better than before.

Also another interesting use I found for this thing (if you don’t really care about being good at games), is looking at the statistics you get when using different controllers.
Quantifiable differences between using a Mouse+Keyboard / Xbox 360 pad / Steam Controller!
I now know that I’m twice as slow with reflex shots on controllers compared to a mouse and keyboard. And that a Steam Controller lands right between the two.
Maybe I should do a larger scale test, save the data and make some nice charts out of it.
Also I’m bad with controllers, so I might need some practice before I can get good results out of it.

You can download it and try it out yourself here:
Click me to go to the download page](https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B1TeXRLC3kR2NHB5SzZQSW1ZSXM&export=download)

Cool project. How does the sensitivity compare to Overwatch? Practicing with anything but the sensitivity you use in the game would be a waste so it’s absolutely essential to be able to set it to the same.
I usually practice/warm up in the practice range or a custom game with ANa or Lucio bots. Doesn’t matter if it’s easier than in a real match. You still build muscle memory when flicking or tracking easier targets.

The sensitivity is adjustable, like everything else in that wall of variables you can set. I turned off any mouse smoothing and stuff in the project, so there shouldn’t be any acceleration or anything like that.
And the way I “calibrate” my sensitivity is that I put my mouse on the middle of my mousepad and move it to the very edge, that then has to match a 200 degree rotation (or whatever you’re comfortable with) in any game I’m playing.
I feel like that’s a neat trick for getting a consistent feeling in all your FPS games without having to experiment with whatever their specific sensitivity slider actually means.

I haven’t played too much Overwatch since I made this, but I also discovered that there are some graphical settings in Overwatch that introduce some extra input lag even though your framerate is still rocking pretty high numbers, so turning those off actually made it a heck of a lot easier to aim.
There’s so much more to Overwatch than just shooting things fast and accurately though, so I used CS:GO with expert bots on deathmatch as my test bench to see if I’m any better after a practice/warm up session and I did surprisingly well, I was impressed by some of the flicked headshots I got.