So I’ve been doing some work with very high poly assets on the order of 6 million polys per object, in a variety of scenarios. Part of the reason for this is it’s a semi-requirement for something I’m working on and partly because I know DX12 will support massive polygon counts compared to DX11.
My results after working with this geometry have been mixed.
- I’m able to import and process large data sets in my plugin fairly quickly, including normal smoothing and vertex de-duplication.
- UE then struggles to handle those results, particularly if Generate Adjacency Buffer is turned on. This really kills the import more than another other option.
- For a 500k poly object UV unwrapping fails a lot. UE loses a lot of geometry when it tries to create a lightmap UV although it does return a simplified result. I tried unwrapping in C4D as a possible workflow alternative and it ran all night and then bailed from the operation and closed the file without saving.
- Even after importing a 2 million poly asset successfully, the framerate in UE tanks. 5fps on a GTX Titan (DX11, not up to testing with DX12 yet).
- Unity performs reasonably well with the same mesh.
It doesn’t look like UE is ready for high poly geometry. Is anyone able to comment on this, share their experiences, suggest some possible ways to deal with this?