A promise I made.

Hi,

I have a history of wanting to do ground breaking techniques and never before seen methods when I code something. This has lead to a lot of half finished projects over the years as I move between ideas, projects, distracted by earning money and so on.

I made a promise to my father on wednesday that I would focus and finish my current project before I moved onto something else. He went in for major heart surgery yesterday and unfortunately did not recover and died today.

I always wanted to make my old man proud and have dedicated myself to becoming a professional games developer, disregarding opinions of me being useless and lazy (because programmers are lazy right?) because I sit at a computer all day every day. He won’t see me become what I strive for but I know he is proud of me for trying my hardest.

So my promise is to be kept.

My current project is going to be Unreal 4 based but currently I am using another engine to make the menu with Scaleform. Once the menu framework is ready it will be ported over.

The game is based on the cult classic movie The Cube 2 : Hypercube.
It will have dynamic puzzles, a single player story mode to follow the movie, a single player dynamic random puzzle mode, a multiplayer mode and a special mode with a huge network of cubes where prizes will be given to the first one to exit the cube alive.

I will most likely be requesting assistance at a later date when I have prototyped the game out but for now wish me luck.

For my Dad. Sleep well.

Hey Doublezer0,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a loved one is always tough. Make sure to keep us posted as you proceed with development of your game.

Good luck to you on your game developer endeavor!

Hi Doublezer0,

Sorry for your loss. All the best and good luck.

Sorry about your loss, Doublezer0.

Best of luck with your project, and don’t forget that the community is always here to help whenever you run into a problem during the development of your game.

Hello Doublezer0,

As others, i am really sorry for your loss and i wish you all the luck you can have.

I am not sure that i’ll have the skills to help you when you’ll need but if i can it’ll be a pleasure to help.

Hey man. Keep pluggin away. You’ll get there. And the menu looks cool!

Sorry for your loss…I know how you feel and have experienced the same…Keep us updated on your game and I can’t wait to play it…

Hi Doublezer0,
Sorry for your loss.
All the best and good luck!

Sorry for your loss Doublezer0. I wish you the best, and as said the community is here to support you in your endeavor.

I am really sorry to hear about your loss, Doublezer0. I know you want to keep your promise, which is truly admirable, but no one will fault you if you need to take a little time to grieve first. Best wishes to you and your family, and I look forward to seeing updates on this project soon.

My condolences.

They say sometimes a loss is what pushes out the greatness within you.

I’m sorry to hear about your loss :frowning:

I have been fortunate to prove my dad wrong when it comes to his question of whether computers and programming would ever be a return on investment so I understand your desire to see this through completion. Please keep us in the loop!

BTW, love the Cube series!!! Have you seen MindHunters?

Oh god, sorry to hear about that my friend :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
I see you’re from Blackpool, (some of my family live there)

Good luck with your game and if you need any advice, let me know .

It’s been said a lot but I’m sorry for your loss.

I look forward to seeing what you put forth in the future, and cannot wait to see your completed project. Keep pushing forward and fulfill that promise!

Thanks for the kind messages guys.

I decided to take some time off and gather my thoughts but time is my enemy so its about time I yanked up my sleeves and carried on with my work.

First step… transferring my work from the “other” engine to Unreal 4. Good times ahead.

Am sorry to hear about your loss mate. I wish you all the very best for this and all your future projects.

Hey man my condolences to you and your family, I recently read one book in particular Switch: How to change when change is hard by Chip and Dan Heath.

Their motto is to Direct the Rider, Motivate the Elephant and Shape the Path. (You already know what you want to do, so it’s not a rider issue.)

Maybe you have many commitments right now it’s hard to take a sold hour to sit down in the first place :slight_smile: So perhaps carve out for you and you alone a nice little environment with a deskspace or table (Or if you have a laptop, why not the beach?). All the best Doublezer0 keep well.

Very sorry for your loss…

I am late to the thread, but my apologies for what you have had to go through.

I hope that you stick to your goals and if you run into any hiccups along the road, I too have seen Cube 2 (as well as the other silly spinoffs) and if you need any dev-related or idea vetting assistance I am at your disposal.

Please take it easy, and please keep your wits about you.

One day before the next, my friend…