This issue has been bothering me for months now. There are certain games I for some reason can’t play. I’ll give you the full list of those games here:
- Rocket League
- Blacklight: Retribution
- Ghost Recon: Phantoms
- American’s Army Proving Grounds
- Dirty Bomb
- Hearts of Iron 4
I never understood what the problem here was. But I knew they had something in common. Most of the games I have on steam, and when I try to launch them, one of the following things always happens:
1: Steam tries to start the game, it launches, runs (nothing starts), 1 second later it Synchronizes, then just stops.
2: If games make it through the launching progress, it gives a DirectX error or something related to the topic.
It’s always one of these two. Number 2 always occurs if the game has a specific launcher, like Blacklight Retribution (Arc).
So I never understood why this happened. It’s weird, because I’m using this laptop for quite a while. This problem never occurred to me before, until I reset my laptop a year back. Since then, these games didn’t work anymore.
But after alot of (online) research, I’ve finally cracked the code. I found a link between most of these games. They all run on Unreal Engine 4. I started noticing this problem after I installed Dirty Bomb. I thought, ‘’****, I hope this works…’’ and it didn’t. I thought maybe it could be because it runs on a certain gaming engine? I found out that it runs on UE4, and then I checked the other games who have the same problem and I saw that they use UE4 too (not sure about HoI4, but it seems to be the same problem I’m not 100% sure).
Now I googled this a **** ****ing lot, spent 100 hours on it or something but I just couldn’t solve it. Couldn’t do it! These are the things I tried:
- I reinstalled DirectX
- sfc /scannow in RUN after starting it as administrator
- Restarting my PC 100’s of times
- I have the most recent version of Microsoft Visual C++. They said downloading + installing 2010 would do the job, but I can’t because I have the most recent version already…
- Adding to that, I tried installing the files manually, but I couldn’t because of some strange reason (talking about files like msvcp100.dll etc, maybe some of you know what it’s about now?)
- Verifying my game files on steam, running steam in windows xp compatibility mode, running steam as admin, running the game file’s .exe files separately bla bla bla etc.
- And some other stuff I probably can’t remember
Resetting would be the ultimate solution but I’m not considering this just yet. There must be another way! Please, help! I’m very desperate…
I did not know where to post this issue, so I posted it here, on this forum. I mean, it’s the UE forum, the source of what I believe is the cause of my problem. I really hope some of you can help me out!!!
My laptop is the HP Pavilion 15-p142nd, if that helps.