A good tutorial on camera transitions?

Hello there friends. I´m looking for a tutorial on how to make a smooth transition between a firstperson and thirdperson camera. I also have one criteria conserning this. The transition must be possible even if the player character is moving.

I know there´s a few tuts on Youtube. But none of them is any good unfortunately.

Hi man,
What about just place the 2 camera in your blueprint and switch using “set view camera with blend” ?
Whats the behaviour you want/ need ?

There´s no function called “set view camera with blend” Atleast not in my version of the engine(4.25) However there´s one called “set view target with blend” But this function only works on camera actors, and not on camera components. The only behavior I need at the moment, is simply a soft transition between two cameras in my character blueprint. And preferably that it works even when the player is moving/sprinting/crouching …etc

The function is called SetViewTargetWithBlend indeed. As you say, it’s for actors.
You can select which camera is used within an actor by enabling/disabling the components, but that does a “hard cut,” and you want a blend.
You to configure two camera components in your character, one for FPV and one for TPV. Then, move between them by overriding the player camera manager.
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…ger/index.html
You’ll also likely want to enable/disable the third person character mesh based on where the view target is, to save on animation cost.
HOWEVER: It’s very common to use a different set of arms with the first person camera than you have with the third person camera. Making those blend correctly during the switch will likely take a fair bit of animation finessing. Or just move the FPV arms down and hide them before cutting the camera, when switching out.

Hej Jwatte, thanks for the reply. I´m afraid though that at this moment I´m still a noob. I only know the basicts of blueprints, and animation. So editing the player camera manager is to advanced for me. But you have still helped me alot. Because now I know there is a way to do this, and I will come back to it later when I have learned more about Ue4.

I also find it strange that there´s a function for camera actors, but no corresponding one for camera components.:confused:

Create an actor class, add camera component (TPP_Camera). Begin Play of the character spawn the actor and attach it to a spring arm or socket of the character. Then use “set view target with blend” to transition.

Check this playlist.

@Orlok22

Create a Blueprint Class (ACTOR). Add a Camera … rename the camera component … 3PP camera or similar.

In the character class use Begin Play to spawn and attach the actor to your character. Create references etc. Then setup the toggle logic.

Demo

3 Likes

@Rev0verDrive
I have followed your instructions and it works perfectly!

Thank you so much!!!

:):):slight_smile:

But this way, we cannot change the camera smoothly while it is changing, that is, while the switch to one camera is still in progress, clicking the switch buttons to the other makes the switch sharp and not smooth.

I just suggest to just moving the camera to the chosen places;

Depends on your needs.

FPP/TPP camera to an ADS position set view target with blend works fine. It has blend time and blend functions ( Cubic, Linear etc ) for smoothing.

Have you tested your approach on a fast moving character/vehicle?

I just want to thank you for the approach and step by step here. @Rev0verDrive … I’ve been struggling with this for 2 days to get it to work. Found your post here and it works great.

I replied to you in another post that it didn’t work but that’s just my inexperience. This works great.