Download

A few general questions from beginner.

Hello, I am Ubernoob!

Like many gamers, for years I have thought about someday being a game designer.

I am a musician, and creative thinker, with VERY minimal design/programming background.

Years ago I took courses in Flash, and Photoshop, as well as a few other programs, and was quite talented at them.

I also did some Skyrim modding a few years ago. Mostly player housing/decorating, but also a bit of everything.

I remember making functional followers with minor voice acting/AI required LOTS of tutorial time lol.

It seems like Idie games in UE4 is something I could do! :smiley:

Question 1

What are the chances that I could make somewhat complicated games, (a.k.a. not flappy birds) without learning c++ ahead if time?

I’m assuming after a while of using pre-made codes/tutorials, and tinkering with them, some of it will just stick.

I would rather not spend a million hours just memorizing a whole new language before I even begin.

Question 2

What are the available options for pre-made codes, and can you get away with mixing them?

Obviously for SUPER simple games, you can have fun with the starter templates.

But for example in a top down, Gauntlet style game, if I want to see equip armor and weapons on charcters.

Could I maybe just add one pre-made code on top of another, fill in blanks, link a few things together, and bam?

Is that sort of thing simple, or super complex?

Question 3
What programs should I get?

Photoshop for skins/2D art?

Flash for menus and cut-scenes?

Well, thank you for reading!

I just got the program today, and barely looked at it.

A few days ago I got Unity 5, and was already through a few hours of tutorials when I decided to check out UE4.

After then reading much debate about what was better, I decided on UE4.

It seemed like for beginners either program is fine, but the hope here is that I become advanced some day.

UE4 sounded like the choice for the masterpieces in my mind! (time will tell if they ever happen lol)

Hey there! Welcome to the Unreal Forums :slight_smile:

Question 1 - Since UE4 has it’s own system for programming available ,Blueprints, It’s actually not that difficult!

I know absolutely no C++ at all, (though I do know some VB.net, JavaScript, and Java) I can accomplish anything that blueprints allows me to :). All you have to know is the terminology it uses, and as long as you understand the general thought process behind object oriented programming, you’ll be fine. I’ll leave a link here to Epic’s HUGELY helpful youtube series. They’ve come a long way from when I started. - (https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists)

Question 2 - Honestly, I would definitely just use the online resources Epic/3rd parties have for free to accomplish what you’re looking for. A lot of what game developers are trying to do has been done before, and is online and able to be learned quite easily. Again, with blueprints, it makes it SUPER easy. However, there are a lot of resources on on the Unreal Marketplace, which you can view here. On the topic of mixing them, it definitely depends on what exactly you’re mixing. If you’re mixing a system that uses it’s own HUD with a system that completely redoes the HUD, it can be extremely tasking. However, if you’re using a system that makes an AI move from x to x, and a system that has nothing to do with said AI system, then it won’t be a problem at all

Question 3 - I own the Adobe Creative Suite, which gives me all their programs. I definitely recommend getting AT LEAST Photoshop though. Also, if you’re doing model skinning, I would suggest a program called Quixel which uses photoshop, it’s amazing. You can just paint onto the models and it even comes with 1000’s of Physically Based Rendered materials.

On the topic of Unity or UE4? UE4 has a much steeper learning curve for most people, but since you’re brand new to game development and programming specifically, UE4 is going to be no easier. On top of that, it’s much easier to create things in UE4 once you get the hang of it. Having blueprint nodes like “AI Move to” is amazing. What that specific node does would take a TON of work to do in C++. It moves an AI actor to any location you want, all you have to do is plug an event and location into it. On top of that, the way it handles almost every actor is great. If you’ve ever heard of a “Base Class”, UE4 takes it to the next level. I can say i’ve never thought “UE4 should have this” because every time an update comes out they just blow my mind with how easy they make things.

Good luck on your journey, and don’t get discouraged! It’ll happen, but if game development is your passion, then you just gotta tough through the rough parts :slight_smile: Let me know if you have any more questions

Ryan

There aren’t any real barriers to making a game using a ‘game kit’. But time is a factor… So the only real requirement maybe is dedication. It can take a couple of years to develop enough chops to build games solo. Its also a strange time to be getting into this area of tech as UE4 is pretty unwieldy. Its predecessor UDK was a breeze by comparison with Unity not far behind. But the obvious choice now is Unity or UE4. The former wins hands down for upfront simplicity, but later on you may be caught out, as there aren’t as many essential editors. So you’ll need a lot of Asset Store packs (assuming you can find the right ones). Either that or beg modeler friends to make stuff for you.

UE4 is a lot more stable than it was a few months ago which is good, but it lacks a basic starter kit which someone pointed out in another thread. I think this is pretty off-putting, especially as UDK had a simple centralized asset-bank. It made for easier prototyping, because it just meant lots of dragging and dropping. What you have to do now, is hunt around for the right community and free content to suit your game, along with buying the right marketplace packs (hopefully). With all that assembled you can make a start.

I wouldn’t look at modeling at this stage, unless you’re sure that’s your calling, because in itself its a monster learning curve. Not intellectually challenging per se, its just lots of detail. You have to learn the correct workflows and pipelines, and have sufficient patience for all the fine detail work. Its also a bit of a minefield picking the right 3D software, and while its not hard to make simple meshes, its important to make quality assets that can hold up over time and not require reworking. Certainly making riggable models like vehicles and characters takes real skill, at least to do it well, although there are templates you can follow.

The genre of game you want to make is a real factor too in whether you need to learn C++ or not. Lets say you want to make an FPS shooter, then you should be able to get by using Blueprints alone. But if your heart is set on something larger like multiplayer / mmo / rpg / rts / moba, then that isn’t the case yet, as there are bugs to be ironed out. But if you go with Unity-5 you’ll have to learn C# anyway, although Unity does make this easy, like learning an MS-Office macro language. Not so in UE4, you really have to be comfortable not only with C++, but also with building projects, merging code, dealing with version changes and learning the underlying engine components, all of which can be a PITA, when you just want to get on with making your game and following your vision without compromises!

I think there is a clear path for picking either UE4 or Unity though, and that’s dictated by the type of game you want to make. So do some homework on this before committing, because you won’t want to switch horses later as its massively counterproductive. For example the simplicity of UDK and Unity is nice. But neither offers source code access. Unity is missing many crucial editors, and its graphics capabilities / quality are below UDK and lag UE4 by a country mile. That means if you want to make something eye-catching and next-gen to keep your interest / motivation levels up, the choice is clear, pick UE4! However, Unity offers a much simpler path if your game is more innovative in game mechanics terms than graphically intense, and its games can run on a wider range of hardware, a key benefit that can’t be overlooked…

That’s not necessarily true. Epic just released all the content of Infinity Blade. On top of that, the Marketplace has a TON of other free things, including animations and characters. I’ve not seen any more offered with Unity.

Multiplayer isn’t difficult at all in blueprints, and works quite well. Now bigger games like an MMO are going to definitely need C++, but unless the OP has a team of 20 and has been in the industry for years, they probably shouldn’t be building an MMO anyway :slight_smile:

I would dissagree. Blueprints makes everything much easier and quicker to produce. I’ve not run into one thing that I CANNOT do with blueprints. I’m not saying there aren’t things, but I think it’s important that OP knows blueprints can accomplish almost anything they want to do. Like I said, i’ve not run into one thing I can’t do with blueprints.

This is the only thing I personally believe Unity is better at. This is mainly because of the low graphics though. Keep in mind that if you even want to get up to Unreal’s BASE standard, you will sacrifice all of that and your game will be more performance intensive than it would be in UE4.

Good Luck :slight_smile:

For sure TSpartanT, the IB release was huge for mobile devs and fantasy RPG projects. Just seeing the construction of these assets should be really helpful. But as the game was a monster success, are the assets now too recognizable to be used in other games? … Plus do they offer anything for other game genres or PC games in general?

Multiplayer functionality in the latest release took a hit. Did Blueprints escape? It may be necessary to go under the hood to fix things, if so, there’s no escaping C++.

‘Unity offers a simpler path / pipeline’ debate… In the full life-cycle of a game, time intensive stuff like UI, menus, game-saves, packaging and testing is easy to overlook… I’m a firm believer that the Unity process is faster, and there are stats around the net to back this up, but of course its debatable and its only one factor in a long chain anyway.

UE4 doesn’t come with a whole lot of assets out of the box and that’s bad for beginners. Its also quite a departure from UDK, which had a rich asset-base ready-to-go that you could instantly prototype with. I’m a bit disappointed with Epic’s UE4 PC assets so far. Sure the ‘set-pieces’ used in unreal video demos look great, but where are the packs of reusable modular-assets on closer inspection? UDK had Necropolis and lots of mobile assets like Epic Citadel / Jazz / Castle which could be re-used in different game genres… Can Epic do more regarding asset starter-packs for PC games? I think so, there’s not enough to get excited about IMHO. Whereas the range of vehicles, characters, weapons and modular-asset packs that came installed with UDK were great! And Unity’s store has lots more more variation too like combat fighter packs etc, which the UE4 marketplace lacks…