A Boy and His Kite - Jun 11 & Jun 12

Lane, I checked out Abzu, A Journey Under the Sea, it will make a great game for a young child or preteen … but it illustrates my point with the state of water actors and assets in UE4.

Compare that water in Abuz to the Azure Temple demo released in 2006 and built with Quest3D. The UE4 water looks like Minecraft compared to water that could be from a real documentary with Jacques Cousteau.

Are you going to write your own water shaders? That is not something I want to take on. I certainly don’t want to put out the cash to hire people to write the water shaders. So that leaves us with the Surface Pack. Not acceptable in my opinion.

How about a demo from Epic at the next computer show that shows off great water, that way we might get a water engine in a future release of UE. There was water in the Kite demo, but as I mentioned, it was water I could walk over.

Cheers

I understand is busy, myself included. Just asking again, was the Cave removed from the Demo runtime that was released along with other assets to increase performance? Did you get an answer ?

Also Lane, or anyone else that is interested, I have done a lot of research on water in gaming over the past few days to find out what it would take to bring UE4 up to date with competing engines. I was surprised to find that most of the heavy lifting has already been done. Being late to the ball would actually work in Epic’s favor in this case, if they simply used the published work of other companies as their foundation for a new water engine in UE.

The rest of the gaming industry starts with the work published by Jerry Tessendorf, “Simulating Ocean Water - UCSD Computer Graphics Lab” which anyone can download. The Tessendorf FFT (Fast Fourier Transforms) method is at the heart of all descent gaming ocean water today. And if you can understand those algorithms, then you are the right person to write UE water shaders!

IGN assigned their Singapore office to this water task, so I do not know how many resources were required. But I was amazed at how much of their work is available for public viewing. Check out this article: ://www.fxguide/featured/assassins-creed-iii-the-tech-behind-or-beneath-the-action/

If the Skunk Works were to design a gaming ocean engine, it would look like what was achieved in Black Flag, an “advanced and elegant design” that provides a fun, pleasing, realistic immersive experience. The waves act and look as they should. The water color recreates the changing colors as the ocean changes depth in the Caribbean. The foam and water splashes, cloud reflection, integrated Beaufort-scale, and especially the translucent emerald green colors that come out at the top of waves, well, amazing. IGN drops this into their engine and provides easy controls for the level developer to quickly make changes and optimizations as they wish. And the Ocean engine works well with the time of day, LOD, Weather Engine, it just works. Granted, their land based water is not so great, but that is why I think a full blown water engine needs to consider land water, ocean, and more attention to where to ocean and beach interaction.

The amazing thing is IGN openly talks about this and gives much of their solution away, as do all the other gaming companies. If someone with the right skills were assigned to this task, they could review what others have done and come up with a solution that is right for UE4. It is not like they need to start from scratch.

I know people on these forums are working on water solutions for UE, but they are not approaching it in the right way, using the solutions already achieved by other companies.

Yeah, sorry I missed that you were talking about the runtime executable specifically. It was removed from that map, youcan only see it in the cinematic. If you want to explore it, the full demo is available for download via the launcher.

I’m a real person. I’m even on the livestreams, so you can see me in real life doing stuff.

We have feature requests in for a full water system with a lot of similar details. There is not an ETA on those kinds of features, but we are looking into them for the future. It’s a large undertaking and would eat a lot of our resources that are currently dedicated to other new systems, so we have to prioritize what is being developed and there are even larger systems with even greater demand from the community that have to be focused on right now.

The summary is this: we want it, but there are other rendering systems that we have to focus on for now.

I’m not the best person to be answering anything specific about rendering, but I’ll see who I can find with the expertise to respond to this further.

Looks like they are on youtube now
v=eYDn2sQ8uKshttps?v=hNgcQ0BeGCs

Thanks for getting the answer … and glad to hear you are indeed human.

And if I may be so bold as to suggest Epic needs to take a hard look at re-prioritizing development work, putting a new water engine close to the top!

Since DanielW is the first UE Developer to jump into this post, how about putting him in charge of the Water Engine? Isn’t that how things work … showed an interest so it is now his baby. :slight_smile:

Just kidding, more humor, and I understand.

I would be happy is someone could review this article ://www.fxguide/featured/assa…th-the-action and give me some idea of how to convert their work, or something like a few parts of it, into UE blueprint shaders. For example a blueprint that would change the color and translucency of water based on depth, and implement LOD such as mentioned in the article. I might be able to combine that with the work others have already posted and come up with an interim solution until Epic rolls out an upgraded water engine in a future release. Would sure float my boat.

Cheers

Your link seems to be broken, but I guess you wanted to point to here: ://www.fxguide/featured/assassins-creed-iii-the-tech-behind-or-beneath-the-action/

Please help, is there way to force initialize, i even do not want to open map but sort assets from there only but initializing in 72% and no more progress

download download

Thanks a lot you have given this stuff to me you can’t even imagine that how important it is for me.