8 Directional Locomotion with Gamepad

Hello there UE community,

I’ve been scratching my head with an issue for the past week. I’ve got myself a set of 17 strafe movement animations (1xidle, 8xwalk, 8xrun) that seem to blend in the worst possible ways when my left thumbstick is in certain positions (e.g. in the middle of ForwardRight and Right).

What happens is that the feet begin to overlap in positions between my animations, so my only fix for this is to quantize my gamepad inputs, limiting my entire movement to 8 directions.

Is there a secret setting that I’m missing?

I’m looking for something similar to Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, when the character is strafing. Also, I’m using the Twinblade Animset.

Would love to know if there’s a solution for this.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah relative foot position has always been an issue in most game engines as there are still requirements on the part of the animation migration that needs to account for the current state of the position of the left and right foot when exiting the current locomotion state. The old way was to exit from the current state into the next based on the percentage on which the completion of the current animation take that best results into a blend from one key pose to another.
To solve this problem Epic added the Sync Group and Sync Markers so that Unreal knows the relative position of the left and right foot and will blend the overlap for you with out the need for corrective poses.

1 Like

I’ve managed to fix my problem using Orientation Warping and using 4 directional strafing, but Sync Group and Markers sound really interesting, thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely try it out and see how that works. I think your suggestion would work even better. Have a great day, Frankie!