Unreal 5.1.0 Preview crashes on startup

When I try to start the new Unreal 5.1.0 Preview 2 (This happened to me on Preview 1 as well) I get this error:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditor_UdpMessaging
UnrealEditor_Messaging
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

The last few lines of the log file are:

Initializing TcpMessaging bridge
Initializing bridge on interface 0.0.0.0:0 to multicast group 230.0.0.1:6666.
FUdpSocketBuilder: Failed to bind UdpMessageMulticastSocket to 0.0.0.0:6666. Error code 3.

Anyone know what I can do to get this working???

Hey @JPMcWhiskers! Make sure to put this on the bugreport forum as well!

It sounds like an IT issue, since itā€™s having an issue with the IP address. Try setting an exclusion in your firewall, or maybe going into your network settings and allowing access for the program before starting it? Strange though, it shouldnā€™t NEED internet.

Sorry I couldnā€™t help more, but you might find more help on the bugreport forum. As 5.1 isnā€™t technically released yet we need all the feedback we can get to make sure 5.1 is as stable as possible on release!

Hey thanks for the reply! I painstakingly added a bunch of exclusions in the windows firewall but to no avail. Then I got your message and it dawned on me to try and run 5.1.0 preview 2 without internet. So I unplugged my ethernet and ā€¦ It ran?

It ran!

Also, where is the bug report forum?

Awesome! So glad that fixed it for you!

Normally I would say just make a new post with the ā€œBugā€ tag along with troubleshooting, but since you now have access, use the UE5 editor. You can go to ā€œhelp > Bug reportā€ and it will pull up a webpage you can use to put in your info! Iā€™d put in that error message from your first post, for sure!

The irony of this situation is that when I do re-connect the ethernet, UE-5.1.0 crashes as soon as a connection is made.

Upon digging a bit further, I went and disabled ā€œEnable transportā€ in the UDP section of the project settings. This allowed me to reconnect my ethernet cable. The editor still crashes when I have internet and try to open it regularly, however.

Do you know what ports I might need to open for ā€œEnable Transportā€ to work, or what ā€œEnable Transportā€ does and how I might troubleshoot this? It looks like that option is whatā€™s making this crash.

Hmm. Strange. As far as Iā€™m aware it should be port6666, but that guess is only from looking at the log you gave. Itā€™s either that or port7777 from what Iā€™m seeing but I could be completely wrong.

Iā€™ve connected my computer to a completely different network and disabled my windows firewall completely to no avail. The only work around is to disable my network adapter (Or unplug) and then start the editor. The only way I can keep working without crashing is to uncheck ā€œDisable Transportā€

Anything else you can think of that might help me out?

So this is the best I can do:
Unplug your ethernet, start the 5.1.0 Editor.
Create a new project
In that project open your plugins: disable UDP Messenging
Now you can open that project without disconnecting your internet.

Not ideal, hopefully Unreal can sort it out.

1 Like

Hello,

After some research & test, here is my fix :

1/
In C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\5.1\Config

Add :

[/Script/UdpMessaging.UdpMessagingSettings]
EnabledByDefault=False
EnableTransport=True
bAutoRepair=True
MaxSendRate=1.000000
AutoRepairAttemptLimit=10
WorkQueueSize=1024
bStopServiceWhenAppDeactivates=True
UnicastEndpoint=0.0.0.0:0
MulticastEndpoint=230.0.0.1:50000
MessageFormat=CborPlatformEndianness
MulticastTimeToLive=1
EnableTunnel=False
TunnelUnicastEndpoint=
TunnelMulticastEndpoint=

To the file DefaultEngine.ini

2/ Remove Engine.ini in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\5.1\Saved\Config\WindowsEditor

When you will launch UE again, the Engine.ini will be regenerated with the port 50000 instead of 6666 for the parameter MulticastEndpoint. It should allow you to launch UE without crashing.

5 Likes

Deliverator!!! Thank you for this solution! Yes, this works. If you care to, can you maybe tell me what you did to figure this out? How did you know the port was the issue? Iā€™ve clearly got a lot to learn about what happens when the Unreal Editor loads.

Thank you so much for this. My solution was a pain in the butt.

1 Like

TBH, thatā€™s not really a fix, but still a workaround, as you have to also change that in your Engine.ini for each project.

The error message put me on the right way and this page gave me the hint of what could fix the problem : Advanced Multi-User Networking in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

The rest was just try & die :smiley:

I still have to investigate for a true fix, but as iā€™m new to UE, i will just enjoy some tutorials first, as now i can launch it :smiley:

2 Likes

I have this error in release version of 5.1
Strangely I didnā€™t have this error earlier

For me itā€™s fixed after PC reload.
Issue occurred after power outage and then powering up PC again

Thanks!!! It works~~~~

thank you~~~it really workļ¼

Hey there Iā€™m having this error but itā€™s happening in UEFN any solutions for this one?
I already tried the solution that is in this post but it did not work for UEFN.
Here is the exact crash error Iā€™m facing:

LoginId:278e729d4bdc0c8b9c833cabb6d53d67
EpicAccountId:5e91f95f382a4b1f8f2f468e28aed48a

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditorFortnite_Win64_Shipping
kernel32
ntdll

If you need any log/dmp files or have any idea how I can try to fix this please let me know

The preview crash happens to me too on verified 5.3.2, updated GFX card driver, any help ???!

LoginId:792fcdfe4c11e1180efa6dad7568a794
EpicAccountId:22ebc5fcdac2488c878e2cd762d97086

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_PCG
UnrealEditor_PCG
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd