5900x vs 5800X3D for Unreal?

Wondering if the higher core/thread count of 5900x would be better than 5800X3D (thought it is the better CPU in the end technically). I am on 2600X Ryzen right now and it’s painfully slow when compiling shaders.

I am also on 1060GTX which I will have to upgrade to something a bit higher, but it isn’t a big deal in DX11/UE4 compared to CPU at 1440p.

I am using Unreal 4 only, would like to use UE5 in the future but not in a hurry to.

While not reflected here (UE oriented benchmark), in CPU heavy tasks, even the 5800 > 5800x3d. And the 5900x dominates both. Core count and their frequency matters. Some (most!) games can take advantage of the special cache - it often does not seem to matter much elsewhere.

If the goal is to minimise wait time while the CPU is fully loaded for prolonged time, then 5900x it is.

• file compression speed:

• Blender render time:

• compilation:

• Adobe likes 3d cache, but it likes GHz more…

5800x3d

Makes sense if you’re trying to game at 144Hz+ For productivity, the 5900x seems like a better investment. Also, look into PBO if you have not done so already and are energy saving conscious or do not want an extra heater in the room.

Yeah I’ve seen these benchmarks but have been debating between 5800x3d and 5900x mostly cause of the hype behind 5800x3d.

That said, now that I think about it, I don’t really care much about AAA games now days and only AAA anything is the Unreal editor I launch, so makes more sense to focus on improving render/compile times than any in-game performance.

5900x is cheaper too, so I’ll be able to upgrade GPU as well. :thinking:

1 Like

and RAM, and fast NVMe :innocent:

Already have 32 GB and over 40 TB HDD space, including 1TB NVME OS drive, so I’m fine there. :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.