$500.00 quadcore, how well would it run Unreal?

I posted a thread on a computer forum regarding a quad core build under or at $500.00

What do you think? 2GB video memory sounds low and I read somewhere 16GB of RAM.

Their recommend spec also ask for GTX 470 or 6870.
So it would be a GTX 750ti or R9 270 for today card.

this will meet their recommended spec.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($71.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.64 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.50 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $503.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available*

Im using a laptop that has a Quad Core i7 4th gen at 2.4Ghz, 16gb ram, and a gtx740m graphics card and the editor runs perfectly fine for me on all settings from Low to Epic.

Primarily I would say if you can get the 16gb bump. Simply having more than 8 is a huge thing when you are trying to be productive and not worry about a ceiling. Having the extra headroom helps for the editor.

The 750ti is one of the best non powered cards you can get for your money and nothing to sneeze at for the price. 2GB memory should be fine if your not trying to power a 4k monitor or anything silly.

I can’t comment on the CPU as I have not had AMD for years but it seems in terms of raw performance it’s passable.

I can say that I have ran the editor on a G3240 dual core Pentium with the non TI 750 (1gb) with 8GB Ram and the editor was surprisingly usable. The basic stuff would function 30ish fps when I wasn’t trying to push anything spectacular and things like Blueprints and Material editing did not want me to poke my eye out with a fork compared to using the IGP.

In my opinion if it’s possible I would try and spend a bit more and get an I5 4th gen as the raw performance of the intel chips seems to be a good thing.

TLDR: The parts you have will work, get 16gb if you can swing it and upgrade to an I5 if you can swing more.

EDIT : [Official] Hardware Performance Survey - Feedback for Unreal Engine team - Unreal Engine Forums , it might have some harder numbers if you get bored and want to read thru real performance results =)

Thank you guys for your post. I will look into the I5 4th gen and 16gb.

Curious if I could get lucky second hand from a person selling their rig at roughly this cost… but second hand though…

I’m looking at a Dell Optiplex 790 which has a 2nd generation i5 (dualcore) and can support 16 GB. This store is selling it for $297.00 (local) with 4GB of DDR3.

I wonder how that would perform based on your experience with a dual core setup.

I don’t know why I want to get this, as I have already been recommended a better solution according to my request of $500.00 price tag. One of the problems aside from finance is delivery, I don’t have a vehicle and I don’t want something delivered to my house in fear that it will get taken (somewhat bad neighborhood).

Anyway, I wonder if upgrading to 4x4GB DDR3 and a 2GB or so PCI 2x16 graphics card, I can work with this setup or not. “work with” doesn’t sound too good.

honestly 16gb is overkill given you are on a budget. You can always add more RAM later as finances allow, but it would be better to get a better CPU up front. Do you have any existing components you would carry over to the new build? i.e. monitor, hard drive, operating system etc?

I have a monitor, two sata drives, 120 GB and 300 GB or something along those lines. No operating system.

A problem is shipping, I don’t want to miss the items being shipped and then have to pick up the parts at the post office.

The other problem is that there are so many choices, it’s hard to make a decision and be happy.

A quick search online and that Dell Optiplex 790 is overpriced so… yet I still have an inclination to buy it.

Another problem is that I will not have much more funds after this as I have to devote them to debt payments.

So I need to get something that I can work with for around $500.00 haha, I know this is really stupid.

But I think if I can work with that Optiplex I will start with that until in the future when I can learn more and get a better setup.

I have a gtx 760ti and a gtx 980…the 760ti isn’t that great imo…750ti will be even worse…depends on what you want to do I guess. It’s not gonna run something like the kite demo really well tho!!!

I have a i7 dualcore. Extremely slow for me, even when I just open a project that I have done nothing to. I don’t have to even bother doing any animation stuff. Too laggy and looks like it’s moving like 1 fps… On Unity and Blender I don’t have this problem, no idea why it’s so slow on UE4.8

The 760 Ti is an OEM card, that’s why it’s bad. The 750 Ti is not.