5.4 Migration Woes (Build issues. Performance issues)

Trying to migrate one of my projects from 5.3 to 5.4 to test the supposed performance improvements of 5.4 and I am running into all sorts of problems.

First off: Getting the ‘Catch2’ issue discussed here

Implementing the suggested fix there seems to have worked.

Second: Compatibility with the FSR2 plug-in has been broken. Super great. Love that. Not like that’s something that people might be relying on for performance or anything.

Third: I get a weird error that I have apparently modified the ‘bStrictConformance’ build environment setting and that’s not allowed. I have never modified this setting. Adding ‘bOverrideBuildEnvironment=true’ seems to have fixed this.

And after all that when I finally get my project up and running, performance is actually noticeably worse. With the screen percentage at 10% and antialiasing disabled, the frame time is ~13ms on 5.4, where at the same settings in the same scene it’s ~11ms on 5.3. The Draw thread is actually ~1.5ms faster on 5.4, but Game, RHIT, and GPU are slower (by ~3ms, ~3ms, ~0.5ms, respectively). Reducing screen percentage even further makes no real performance increase, which makes me think I’m somehow being CPU bottlenecked in 5.4 in a way that I wasn’t on 5.3.

That feels like a pretty significant performance regression.

Same here, I see a slightly decrease in FPS with the exact same setting and scene.

1 Like

I’m having the same issues and it’s driving me nuts. In my case though, I’m stuck on 5.1 because 5.2, 5.3, and now 5.4 all for some reason drop my frame rate.

For 5.4, I have a similar case where the GPU is profiling roughly the same frame time, the Draw is so impossibly improved that I’m quite sure the display is bugged, and yet the Game and RHIT times are much slower. My project, which used to average about 9.67 ms in total in 5.1 averages 14-16 ms in 5.4 with no changes on my end. The performance loss is quite ludicrous and I myself am at a loss on how to fix it.

1 Like