5.1 Local-couch Multiplayer help needed, newbie

Greetings. So I am learning quite intensely for some time now both C++ and Blueprint side of Unreal5 and as everyone says - it’s best to learn by challenging Yourself. I was always charmed by couch co-op games and after running through few tutorials decided to do something of my own.

Now as the title suggests, I ran into problems with setting up local multiplayer and it is still unclear to me whether it is 5.1 version problem or am I just doing something wrong.

I have used these series as a basis for understanding the setup and logic behind local multiplayer: UE4 - Tutorial - Local Multiplayer Pt 1 - Project Setup - UE4 / Unreal Engine 4 - YouTube
and this video from our fellow forum-ist : UE5.1 Couch Coop Local Multiplayer Template (Enhanced Input System) - YouTube

Yet I still cannot make it work as the code there is far more complex than what I can fathom and I cannot access full blueprints to figure something out.

Now I was thinking - maybe I could do something simpler - without any player input receivers and just spawning two players at PlayerStarts and they would be bound to different controlls. Could I just bind two different input mapping contexts for each player with beginplay? I would also like to learn what is up with 5.1 and maybe there is some way to go around the bugs (if there actually are any)?

I could actually share my files as the project is purely for learning, but I am kinda new here and I am not sure how it is acceptable to do that here. I believe it’s better than screenshots.

Anyways, thank You in advance! Maybe the system is too much, but it is the CORE of what I want with my game development :slight_smile:

Hello again!

So after going through hell trying to figure out what and why is not working, I found some comments around, saying that it’s due to a bug in 5.1 version. Decided to leave that here for, so ppl can avoid wasting time.

It’s not mentioned often but one thing neither video goes over is that if you are on windows 11 play in editor seems to be flaky detecting multiple gamepads with unreal engine 5.1 if your using play in editor. You can however test in standalone as long as you’re certain both controllers are indeed working properly and showing up in device manager and appear under your device list in control panel. The bugs mentioned are simply around the skip keyboard input with enhanced input system in ue5.1 and the strange focus behavior of the editor in windows 11 seeming to compound making a lot of people give up because things just don’t work the way they did in ue4. I’m the author of the local multiplayer template and have a support discord for people using the template. I hope you get around your blockers. Happy developing :blush:

1 Like