5.1 GPU "out of memory"

Hello there!

I’m facing a weird issue. My GPU keeps crashing when trying to play a specific level in my project, getting me the infamous “out of video memory trying to allocate a rendering resource. Make sure your video card has the minimum required memory, try lowering resolution and/or closing other applications that are running.”

I have a 3090, and it’s not a particularly taxing level (in regards to other ones in the same project), I have like 10GB of free vram when UE says I’m running out.
Also, when in editor mode I have a solide 60+ fps, and my GPU is around 55°C. So it doesn’t seem to be overheating.

What’s really strange is that I didn’t have any issue with this level before, and did not do major changes. So, I’m really clueless.

I tried to open and play the level on my laptop which has a 2070, and it’s running although quite poorly.

I’ve tried to increase the shader size in the nvidia pannel but with no effect, and using geforce or creator drivers doesn’t change anything.

If anyone has an idea, I’m taking any suggestions!

Right click on the map file in the content browser, and choose ‘size map’.

It will tell you what’s using all the space.

Just had a look, there’s nothing out of the ordinary.

When I try to simulate or play in an other window (PIE) it sometimes works which is even more confusing because I was under the impression that it is mode demanding.

1 Like

Seems like I found the issue ! While making some researches, I found this guy answer to an other kind of GPU crash :

I checked out, and it appeared that the SSD on which I’m working had none. So I put everything on auto like him. And everything seems fine so far.

Don’t know why the issue is specific to a couple of maps in the project, but what do you know ?

Maybe this will be helpful to someone ! Cheers

2 Likes