Landscape sculpt question

hello guys,

so i have a question here. i imported a height map for the base of my landscape. problem is, when i sculpt my landscape i cannot sculpt higher than the highest point, or lower than the lowest point. i have sort of like rolling hills but they are not that mountain-y lol. but i was going to add a lake in the middle and maybe make a few of the hills taller. (its based on a real location thats why i brought in the accurate height map). but in unreal can you not sculpt higher than highest point or lower that lowest point when you build a terrain from a height map? lol why would this be a thing? am i missing something? thanks.

Hi, the heightmap is just a 16 bit greyscale texture and sculpting means painting on that heightmap. But you can’t go below complete black 0 and you can’t get above complete white (somewhat around 65000). At the default z-scale complete black would be -256m and complete white would be +256m.

So you could change the contrast of your heightmap before importing it into UE (so that you stay somewhat above complete black and somewhat below complete white), and then adjust the z-scaling in UE.

ahhh that makes sense. i understand the reasoning behind the results it was giving me now and will be able to prevent that happening. thanks for the reply!