The grass node in material editor is causing 4.23 to crash

This is NOT 4.23 Preview, but the full 4.23 release.

I am using a landscape material that has a grass node in it. Every time I click the grass node to edit the grass types, the editor will crash.

I rebuilt the material from scratch and I still experienced the same issue.

I tried using Brushify’s landscape material in 4.23 and received the same issue.

I tried both my material and Brushify’s material in 4.22.3 and did not receive the error at all.

I have also created a new project using 4.23 and using my material and Brushify’s material received the same outcome of the editor crashing when I selected the grass node.

I also noted that when I only have a couple grass nodes, it does not crash on me. When adding 6 it seems to not crash, but over 6 causes it to crash as soon as I click the grass node.

I am not sure what other pieces of data that would be useful.

Any thoughts or known issues?

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

I added a bug.

Do you have a link to the issue you submitted?
I wanted to vote for it but can’t find it on https://issues.unrealengine.com/

Yeah I am not sure. This is the response I received:

Thank you for your bug submission. We will be investigating your case and follow up if more information is needed or when a ticket is created. You can track the latest UE4 issues at https://issues.unrealengine.com/
This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email.
Thank you,
Epic Games

And then this one a couple of days later:

Hello,
I have been able to reproduce this issue, however in the latest internal build It no longer reproduces the issue. If you still run into this issue after the next engine release feel free to update this case.
Thanks,
Jeremy

I filled out a bug report appropriately but never got a real case number only these emails.

Alright, seems legit not to open an issue if it has already been ‘fixed’ in their latest internal build.

At least people will find this post as I have and see it has been taken care of already.

Thank you! :wink:

Maybe this - Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-80016)

Nope, that’s not it.

This thread seems to have found a solution (or a workaround) - Landscape material not showing on packaged game - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

In short, Landscape Material must have at least one Layer Blend. And you have to set layer name to something other than default “None”

286972-landscapematerialcookingworkaroundpng.jpg

Unfortunately that is not the issue that is occurring. The issue I have is when you select a grass type node with 6 or more connections it causes the entire editor to crash. I have a full material with layer blends and such so I am not sure this “work around” applies to this specific issue.

Seriously, one month later we still don’t have info on this nor 4.23.1 update.
We simply can’t create/modifiy landscape material using procedural grass

It’s not fixed in the last 4.23 build on Github and there’s no commit about this bug for next version. No ETA for next engine version neither.

What would be the point of using a landscape material without any layer? We obviously already have layers

This is very odd that even though I was told that this is fixed internally no bug report, issue, anything has been filed or listed. And now to hear that the latest build still has this issue and is presumably not fixed? No ETA on next release? Come on Epic! If these forums are for interacting on these issues, please INTERACT and let people know what is going on with YOUR product. An update. A message. Anything. Very disappointing.

I am installing the update to 4.23 right now and will see if this is still an issue. Will report shortly.

With the update to 4.23.1 this issue has been fixed and no longer causes crashing when selecting a Grass Node with 6 or more grass types.