4.9 Unable to generate long package name (was ok in 4.83)

Hi ,
OS = Windows 8.1

• Summary of test:
    1. open 4.8 project in 4.9 choose
      make copy
    1. try to compile, I get the result
      below.

I just tested building my project in 4.9. The package builds “successfully” but fails to include the data in the .pak file.
So it really does not build successfully.

Here is an example of the errors I am getting.
PackagingResults:Warning: Warning Warning Unable to generate long package name for W:/work_digital/Unreal_Projects/A_Acsend_v3r3/Content/Meshes/generic/CubeMaterial2.uasset because FilenameToLongPackageName failed to convert ‘W:/work_digital/Unreal_Projects/A_Acsend_v3r3/Content/Meshes/generic/CubeMaterial2.uasset’. Attempt result was ‘W:/work_digital/Unreal_Projects/A_Acsend_v3r3/Content/Meshes/generic/CubeMaterial2’, but the path contains illegal characters ‘:’

Any help would be appreciated. BTW this compiles fine in 4.83
Thanks Greg

Summary of my tests:

• 1)open 4.8 project in 4.9 as a copy
    and try to package Win 64bit from
    within Unreal. The build is
    successful but it does not include
    the maps. See first post above.
    1. I rename the project( folder,
      project name , and edit "
      deafultEngine.ini" works fine.

This appears to be a problem when converting a 4.8 file to 4.9 as a copy?

I had the same problem with my maps. Not sure if you have specific references to your assets somewhere but my problem was that the maps to cook we’re being stored in a config file as an absolute path. I think they switched to relative pathing in 4.9. Once I reselected the maps through the picker in editor, the cook started working.

I’ve also seen this happen when I’m accidentally linking to folders or maps outside of my project directory tree.

Hey Thanks. That is what I have been doing. I will set up a “sourceAssets” folder inside my Unreal project.
Thanks again

Hi

What do you edit in the defaultEngine.ini? I’m getting the same error and the path has …........\ before the file name which I presume is the problem?

I actually thought I had fixed this issue in my project by making sure all my maps were referencing the right project. I have 3 copies of the same project for build purposes, and at some point, while selecting maps to cook through the editor, it had opened one of my other projects.

So to start, make sure your maps are properly referencing the maps in the project you are trying to build and not the same maps in any copies of that project

Second, after I had made sure my maps were right and I was still getting the error, I checked Full Rebuild in the packaging settings and that seemed to fix it.

Thanks for your reply. I’m quite new to unreal. Although I seem to have fixed the problem by renaming the folder and project. I’m now getting the below when trying to run in both firefox and chrome:

uncaught exception: abort(“Cannot enlarge memory arrays. Either (1) compile with -s TOTAL_MEMORY=X with X higher than the current value 536870912, (2) compile with ALLOW_MEMORY_GROWTH which adjusts the size at runtime but prevents some optimizations, or (3) set Module.TOTAL_MEMORY before the program runs.”) at

I used memreport to check the max memory usage and set my html5 heap slightly greater than this. So i’m not sure what’s going wrong. although i’m using 32 bit firefox and chrome as this is most likely what my target audience will be using.

hmmmmmm.

Sorry I can’t really help you out there. We’re building for iOS. One thing we ended up having to do for iOS is increase the stack size via the engine source. It seems our internal dependencies were so big that during the loading sequence, we were blowing the stack. No really sure if the same thing is going on here. But you probably want to post that question in a different thread. Good luck!

no problem, thanks for your help.

Think it’s something to do with this

LogStats:Warning: MetaData mismatch. Did you assign a stat to two groups? New //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_a2d0_0///####STATCAT_Advanced#### old //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_417c_0///####STATCAT_Advanced####

no idea what it means but i’ll post somewhere else as you mentioned and hopefully come up trumps.

The stat group stuff is internal to the engine. It’s how they track time spent in different parts of the engine for profiling purposes. Unless you’ve added new stats to track, I doubt that would be the problem, but I’ve been wrong before in UE.

Brilliant thanks. Saved me a wild goose chase.