(this is a follow up to [4.9] Reset Blueprint to default values doesn't work - Blueprint - Unreal Engine Forums)
When renaming a component of a blueprint, the values are reset to default.
- Create new test project
- Create Blueprint actor class, add a static mesh component ‘SM_Mesh’, leave the default mesh (white cube)
- Place instance of actor in level
- Configure the property SM_Mesh in the selected instance (change mesh to a sphere, change also the material)
- Now open the Blueprint again, change the name of ‘SM_Mesh’ to ‘SM_Mesh_renamed’.
- Instead of just renaming the component, all values of the instance are reset to default