4.9 Import Broke Parent-Child Relationship

Every time I open my project, the Bot_ShooterCharacter class has the same error: “This blueprint (self) is not a TRASHCLASS_BaseCharacter_96, therefore ‘Target’ must have a connection”. This error is on the parent function call for a method inherited from a blueprint called BaseCharacter.

My project contains 3 blueprint classes that inherit from the Character class. The BaseCharacter class inherits from Character, ASP_ShooterCharacter2 inherits from BaseCharacter, and Bot_ShooterCharacter inherits from ASP_ShooterCharacter2.

I solved this problem by reparenting Bot_ShooterCharacter to ASP_ShooterCharacter2, and reparenting ASP_ShooterCharacter2 to BaseCharacter. This makes the error disappear, and the game runs as expected.

I thought this solved my problem, but this happens every time I open this project.

My Steps:

1. Imported to 4.9
  2. Reparented classes as described above to resolve issues.
  3. Save project.
  4. Close Project.
  5. Reopen Project
  6. Repeat 2-6 until insanity brought me to the AnswerHub.

I have had issues with inheritance when importing in the past, but this time it is different in that the problem persists.
Thank you for your time,

Hi ,

Is the error you are seeing that you cannot alter default values from inherited variables/components? If so this has already been reported as UE-20258 and we have fixed it internally. Unfortunately I don’t know when that fix will be implemented into a release, but there is a github fix that you can pull if needed I’d be happy to provide that for you.

Thank you for your response,
That is not the case. My error is that I cannot add a call to a parent function that I have inherited unless I re-parent those three classes every single time I open my project.

This is in blueprint, so right clicking the inherited function, selecting add call to parent function, and linking those up causing the error: “This blueprint (self) is not a TRASHCLASS_BaseCharacter_96, therefore ‘Target’ must have a connection”.

Re-parenting all three classes fixes that error, but only temporarily. I ensure that my changes are saved and committed to source control. I then close, and reopen the project only to find the same error has returned.

Later today I can take screenshots of the problem area if that is of use to you. My blueprint classes have become so interwoven in terms of requirements that I don’t know if it would be faster to strip things down or to send the project.

I will get you a link to my git repo as soon as I can via pm. Unfortunately the 4.9 version of my project isn’t pushed yet, because of this very problem. So tonight I can push that up and send you a link.

Do you have any steps I can take to reproduce this on my end or an asset that I can test along with any parent assets that are required to experience the error? I’ll be happy to take a look and see what may be occurring.

At that point it would be easier to just send the project. If you are concerned for privacy you can send it via private message on the forums and I can pull the information from there without it being made publicly available.

Hi ,

I am not getting this error when I open your project. Do I need to do anything in particular or should I be looking for a particular class to open?

Bot_ShooterCharacter was where the error appeared for the inherited event OnDeath. It shows me the error when I try to compile or play the project.

Hi ,

I was able to reproduce this and have entered a bug report, UE-20862, to be assessed by the development staff. For now, I found a workaround that temporarily fixes the error. When you compile and get the warning, open the BaseCharacter blueprint and press compile, this should fix the error while the editor is open and will need to be done again upon re-opening.

Thank you for your assistance.

I’m also experiencing this issue, hope this gets fixed soon. In our team there are several people and currently everyone has to go through the temporary workaround each time they open the project.