4.7 Release! and Game Jam Results - Feb 26, 2015 @ 2PM

Archive is up, yall!

yeah, thank you

Mike Fricker is such a nice guy. You can truly see that he’s totally into his work! Awesome stream!

Mike is the best, He is exactly as you say :slight_smile: I’m always glad to get him on the camera

@Mike

I may have not been clear on the DemoRec questions. I was not asking about compatibility accross engine version, as I can understand that it could break.
My question was more that the DemoRec file are broken between different version of my Game on the same GameEngine.

I opened a question here to understand how I can deal with it and understand what can cause a breaking.
As stated in my hub questions, the demorec player is complaining about some GUID Classes that are not matching between the DLL version and the demorec ones.

For DLC question, I think I need to dig into the Cooking process to better understand how to make a patcher. I better understand the goal of the DLC tools.
Is there any documentation on how to deal to update game Assets, game exe, etc…? I’m not expecting Epic to provide a tool to manage , but more guidance & a small documentation page on the best pratices on that topics. As of today, I’m not targetting to deploy my game via a platform with a specific patcher, is why I wanted to understand part to forecast some effort on creating the patcher tool.
I remember that in UE3, there was some stuff like redirection to download missing package via FTP. Does UE4 have also?

Thanks,

@, Mike,

Now that you are back from GDC, could you please take a few minute to write an answer on my questions ?

thanks,

Oh, sorry. Sure!

Right. I believe the network team is planning to address . Your demo files rely on the replicated layout of your class being the same, but changing your game classes can affect how that layout is stored which invalidates all of the recorded demos. I think they’re planning on making the format more resilient to class layout changes.

I don’t think we have much yet, since the is very new. I totally agree we need to provide guidelines about how developers would create features like the launcher and handle DLC packaging and distribution. Ultimately most games do need a bunch of game specific things there, but there are also a lot of common bits that we want to share. Some of these features you’re seeing come online naturally as Epic is development UT and Fortnite. I think it will take some time before we have all of the best practices and documentation ready, but I’ll make sure that it is in our minds as we go.

Not… really. But we have a lot of the plumbing you would need if you wanted to add it. Everything goes through a file system platform abstraction. is how we can already for example, download new content to a running Android device on demand during development instead having to copy all content up front before launching.

–Mike

Thanks for those answers.

For the “Update a game” documentation, it could be great also to add some explanation on the Automation.cs file and how it works. I saw on the UT that they made a big use of it, but by reading it, I add difficulties to understand what is part of the “common part” and what’s specific to Epic (like the perforce part).
I bet a better understanding of it will help to create an appropriate output for the updater (even if I agree that each game are specific ^^).

For the DemoRec, I really hope is something that can be fixed and if they can put some explanation on how to make like a “patcher” to correct a corrupted demofile. Again, I’m not asking for the job to be done (even if it will be great) but some guidances to help us to start on topic.