4.7 bug / issue - Blueprint node search/filter performance mayhem

I have noticed a tremendous performance drop while working with blueprints. Whenever you need to search for a new node the editor freezes up while typing. if you press any keys while it is frozen, those keys will be added to your search as soon as it starts responding, causing it to freeze all over again etc etc. very very frustrating.

Some keywords seem easier to search for then others.

Hi MADHOUSE,

Are you seeing this in a new project or an existing project? I attempted to reproduce this in-house but so far I haven’t been able to.

Could you post your dxdiag (system specs)?

Also, you mentioned above that certain key search terms would lag the editor worse than others. Could you provide me with a list of examples?

Same here. I have this issue for about month now. I am using a 4.8 github build.

I am currently seeing this in the 4.7 ShooterGame sample. (have not tried on a clean project yet)
An example of a keyword that frooze the editor was “damage” and “recive”, I will have a closer look at that and update with more precise details if they emerge.

some simpler words like “get” would work out almost as normal

link text

I get little to no lag while testing this on Shooter game in a new blueprint. However, the more complex a blueprint gets the more this lag can increase. That’s why it’s important to use functions and collapse groups of nodes down, it increases performance. I had to do this for my testbed character because placing a node in that blueprint could take 1-3 seconds. After streamlining it though, it was back to nearly the performance of a blank blueprint.

I believe you maybe seeing this a bit worse because of your RAM, we recommend having 8 gb.

With that said, if you try this in a new project on an empty blueprint and it still has a large lag, then we definitely have problem. Post back to let me know how that test goes.

Cheers,

TJ

Okay so I just created a blank project without starter content, but I am still noticing a chuggy/laggy behaviour in the node search, its is much better, but its still a bit sluggish

edit: I upgraded from 4.4 to 4.7. I should indeed have a bit more RAM to expect UE4 to run as expected, but i’ve never experienced this particular issue in the past.

There was a large amount of code changes from 4.4 to 4.5 as well as a bunch of new features that went into 4.6 & 4.7. It’s quite possible that the sluggishness that you are experiencing is just the tipping point of the editor and your RAM.

True, if the ram requirements have increased since 4.4 this is most certainly the reason. Thanks for lookin into it!