[4.7.5] 'Hidden in game' and 'visible' ignored for child actors

Hei, at least in 4.10, you can also set the visibility using SetVisibility, then you do not need to check the current state. The issue seems to be that setting bVisible does not mark the render-state as dirty (MarkRenderStateDirty).

This is such an annoying issue. Childactors should make it easy to make very generic actors, but instead they only result in issues like this… Indeed, so many engine versions later and still not fixed.

I recently stopped using UE4 because of bugs like this. I’m just so tired in using many dirty workarounds for basic issues. I mean, seriously, making something visible/invisible should just work. Instead, Epic just refuses to fix this for months, without even giving an ETA because they like playing with fancy new DOF patterns or an ultra-realistic eye shader more than making sure, the basic stuff works like it should. It’s just depressing, don’t get this.

Oh, and why is this issue set to resolved, when JIRA UE-13893 still seem to not being fixed yet?

I have this bug in 4.12 Epic just hopes the community will do their work for them. Mine only effects client on a listen server tho

I have this bug in 4.12 Epic just hopes the community will do their work for them. Mine only effects client on a listen server tho

i just meet this bug today :confused: cant hide a child actor :frowning:

Easy fix - get child component of the child actor you’re affecting and change it’s visibility too. May need to get all children if there’s multiple meshes for example you want to affect the visibility of.

Easy fix - get child component of the child actor you’re affecting and change it’s visibility too. May need to get all children if there’s multiple meshes for example you want to affect the visibility of.

Another workaround for cinematic use is to set actors to “Hidden in Game” in the world outliner and then just toggle the visibility ON in Sequencer, or vice versa.

Hi Everyone,

I had this problem ever since I started using unreal and I recentelly fix it with a Blueprint.
In this video I’m also using this in Sequencer/Movie Render Queue due to my workflow I need to use it but you can do exactelly the same and call the BP in the level BP.

My Blueprint is very similar to the ones on top and just goes over all the children and hides them in game. The best part is that they are back to normal once I go back to editor mode.
Hide Children Blueprint Youtube

This looks like exactly what i’m looking for! But how do i get the “Hide Children” node from your video?

PS: Nevermind, i found your video explainig it :slight_smile:

For anyone wodering how it’s done:

What about if I want to hide not just the children, but all descendants?

@pbrgle1 Sorry I didn’t saw your post.

Did you solve your issue or ? I’m not sure if I follow your question about “descendants”?
There are several ways , you can even apply tags to meshes and modify the BP to hide all SM with Tag "Hide me " for example.