[4.7.3]Project only opens on one computer

We can safely disregard the GeForce Experience. The reason I asked was because I have it on my as well, which as a last ditch effort I had hoped may be the common link. However, I checked on a machine with an AMD build and it still crashed. I haven’t been able to limit which blueprints are the culprit as it seems that nearly any blueprints or combinations of blueprints in those folders are causing the editor to crash. I’ve submitted a bug report, UE-13148 to be assessed by the development staff.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I don’t have a third computer to test the project on. I do however have older backups of the project. I have also recently restructured the project and moved a bunch of assets around though I doubt many if any blueprints were moved. I’m not sure if you could test any of the older blueprints perhaps before the restructure. You said that the project would open if the blueprints/game and blueprints/player folders were removed? If it did, would it still crash trying to open other blueprints?

As far as I could tell no, the crashes were limited to those two folders. I pulled them into a clean, blank project and experienced crashes whenever I attempted to access any blueprint within either folder. I was able, however, to access structs you have set up.

I do know that some of the blueprints in there are children of c++ classes. Specifically the player controller, and I know that some were re-parented. That was also the same problem I had only being able to open my structs and enums but nothing else.

Since I have some kind of miracle computer I will also try the method you tried with just those two folders in a new project. Is there any sort of redundant data anywhere that could be affecting the project that I would have but other computers wouldn’t?

If any of your blueprints are named the same as your project it may be causing the interference to occur. Additionally ensure that you aren’t accessing any inherited variables or functions from classes that your blueprints are no longer parented to.

So after conducting further testing I found a previous backup from a few weeks ago that doesn’t generate .dmp files when opening. It’s missing a lot of content including some of those C++ classes I mentioned (though later projects that don’t have them create .dmp files). It also still has a lot of the same blueprints from the most recent project. Now I’m only assuming that the fact it generates .dmp files would indicate that it would crash on other computers but I’m not exactly sure how that works. Something does come to mind with the last part however. I originally had a C++ blueprint function library (for stuff that wasnt exposed to BP) but later replaced that with C++ wrappers for classes and some of the functions were the same, though I’m not sure if they had the same name or not.

Also for some reason that C++ function library remains in the editor classes view but is not in the actual project in Explorer.

I may have figured out the cause of the crashing. At least (even though I could always open it, I was still generating .dmp’s) now it’s no longer generating .dmp’s and hanging at 93% when loading. I’ll PM you an updated blueprint with the fix. Let me know if you are able to open the project after that. If so then its a definitely discernible bug that can be reproduced. I know because I started to re-build the entire project from scratch and ran into the problem.

Unfortunately I saw no change. The editor hangs at 93% then crashes. I took the file into a separate project as well and still experienced the same crashes I was getting before.

Is it giving you the same error? StructProperty>ArrayDim?

Unfortunately no, I’m getting a vastly different error stating that multiple UMG and HUD assets are in placeholder “outers”. Are these some of the files that were replaced with wrappers?

No, the only wrappers used were the player controller and the base weapon class and weapon pickup class.

Hey -

I just wanted to give you an update on the folders that were causing the crash. As mentioned I was able to pull both folders into a clean project and open it. I was also able to open every blueprint in the folders except for FPS_PlayerState and FPS_GameMode in the Player and Game folder respectively. These two blueprints specifically crashed consistently when I tried to open either one.

Thanks for the update! I’m assuming you are talking about the Blueprint/Game and Blueprint/Player folders? Were you only able to open them if they were in a new project? I’m a little confused on what you actually were able to open? Did you remove those two folders and open the original project or did you pick out those two BP’s mentioned above from the original and were then able to open it? Also if it would help to see inside those BP’s to try and figure out why those are crashing let me know.

The bug report that mentioned included the two folders which I copied into a new project. Having a screenshot of those blueprints would indeed help give an idea of what is causing a problem with them opening.

I PM’ed the Screenshots for those BP’s. I missed the link in the first message and sent another with the link.

Did those shed any light on the issue? I know about those glitched struct nodes but that has been a reported problem and doesnt seem to affect project loading for others and a simple refresh node fixes them until the next load.

I included the screenshots as additional information in the original bug report which is still being investigated along with another related bug report that was entered (UE-13379).

Cheers

Do the new engine updates change anything? I know in the release notes of 4.5 there were fixes for upgraded projects.

You can find information about the individual changes made during hotfixes on the announcement and releases page for an individual release. For 4.7, click here:

Unreal Engine 4.7 Released! - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums!

We post hotfix updates further into the pages with information on what specifically was altered within each hotfix.

Sorry worded my comment poorly. I was wondering if the new 4.5 engine update fixed opening the project. I ask because one of the release notes said it fixes crash with projects converted from 4.7.3>4.7.4 which my project was.