4.7.3 Blueprint memory leaks

On my desktop I noticed some strange performance issues. I have a very small project which uses around 500mb of RAM in the editor.
When I open a blueprint the RAM usage keeps climbing for apparently no reason. When I close the blueprint it stops climbing but it doesn’t go down. I only have 6Gb so when it hits 5GB my desktop starts to freeze. I don’t have this issue on my laptop.
I searched a bit online and it appears that this memory leak is an old known bug. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be fixed already? Also weird I don’t have it on my laptop…
Any (temporary) fixes for this?
PS I also recently bought a GTX 970, I saw some people had problems with this.

Thanks

Hey FloreVanackere,

We’ve had some similar issues reported by other users on various pieces of hardware (including one on an AMD GPU). Can you send in your dxdiag? Have you noticed that this bug occurs primarily while working with the Blueprint or can you leave it open (without touching it) and still get the leak? Also, is it all BP’s or just one or two?

We are still trying to track this down, so any additional info is appreciated.

Thanks,

I can confirm; I am also having this issue with UE4 4.7.3.

I noticed performance issues before leaving the computer after a three hour worksession in Blueprint; I left the Blueprint editor open and running overnight and today almost 13GB of my 16GB were consumed by the editor causing massive system slowdown.

I replicated the issue and discovered what OP had. Can we escalate this issue?

Hey DesertEagle,

Was the BP you left open a rather simple or more complex BP?

If you open up your output log with this BP open, is there any log spam going on?

Hey , I would love to help but unfortunately I don’t currently have access to my Development machine and I don’t know if my laptop can handle the engine (I’ll try to install it and see, but it may be a bit harder to diagnose.)

The blueprint I left open was relatively simple, just a tiny bit of vector math leading from an On Begin Play Event node to an Add impulse Node; the only other nodes included were a Multiplication Node (float * vector), a Get node (for a passed in int which was converted to a float), an int to float cast (conversion) node (see previous), and an Get Actor Forward Vector Node (I believe, I could’ve just used a Make Vector Node.)

I will try and access the editor and recreate this script on this computer if I can and I’ll let you know.

I have launched the BP Editor; I am currently monitoring memory usage and keeping an eye on the Output log.
Memory has begun slowly climbing; this is what I have setup (with the output log on a separate tab).

http://i.imgur.com/MVCr2Yd.png

After all day of running the editor, it appears that the issue is not related simply to having the blueprint editor open; it also doesn’t appear to be related to simply adding nodes – however I am not certain on this. Unfortunately I have not been able to gather any more information than this as my memory usage did stop climbing short after it started and remained relatively constant.

Yeah that amount of usage doesn’t seem very out of the ordinary. If you notice it happening again, let the memory build up quite a bit, then bring up the console(~) and type “memreport -full”. After that, can you send me the file in [ProjectName]/saved/Profiling/MemReports

Will do, the screen I linked is from when I started – so yes it wasn’t abnormal – I had intended to give a contrasting screenshot later but it never did act up. I will continue to tinker with it as time permits since I have access to my development machine again. I’ll keep an eye on it and revive this question with that memreport if it goes crazy again.

Hey guys,

I’m marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If you’d like to re-open it, simply respond to this answer.

After quite a while of no problems I ran into the issue again. Memory usage slowly climbs over hours, even in 4.7.5. I have attached the memreport you requested earlier, hopefully it will help find a solution.

The Memreport

I’ve added this info to UE-12941