4.6.1 instant crash on launch

This problem just happened out of nowhere one day when I wanted to work on my game level. As soon as I choose to launch 4.6.1, UE4 crashes instantly. I have tried to verify and removing and installing back again with no success.

If anyone can shed some light, please please do so

This same thing happened to me, and i had to figure it all out myself, but i think i can help you out. In my case, my level was corrupted, and it was the default level, so i was not even able to open the editor, like you. What i did was:

1.cloned my project in the UE4 Launcher ( by right clicking on the project and selecting clone ).

2.went back to the original project in the launcher, right clicked and selected show in folder/finder.

3.copyed all the files in the project

4.went to the clone of the project and opened it in folder/finder (once again by right clicking on the project)

5.deleted all the files from the cloned project

6.pasted all the files from the original project

I did this so I would not accidentally mess up anything from the original project ( that would really suck ).

7.Then i removed each of the folders ( Binaries, Build, Config, Content, DerivedDataCache, Intermediate, and Saved ), one by one. Each time i removed a folder ( don’t delete the folders, just put them on your desktop ) i tried to open the project from the Launcher.

8.finaly it opened when i had removed the content folder, so i put the content folder back into my project and started removing each of the folders inside of it until i found that the problem was in my default map.

9.then i just removed that, and my project opened fine. Of course one of my level was not there but that was sure better than losing all my work.

Hope this helps!

After trying the steps you provided. It turns out (I think) that it has nothing to do with my game level and the problem may lie with UE4. I can open my game level in 4.6 but even attempting to open 4.6.1 (which is what I started making the level with) will result with a instant crash.

I appreciate our help and i’ll keep it in mind for when I may need it but my problem still persists

Hey --Jordo–,

In order to better assist you, could you please provide your from the editor crashing on launch? Having this information will greatly improve our chances of figuring out what exactly is happening. Also, are you able to copy your project and open it up within 4.7.6 or even the latest 4.8.0 Preview 2?

If you’re able to try on a newer version of the engine, could you please provide any crash that populate on the newer versions of the editor as well?

Looking forward to assisting you further, thanks!

Hey --Jordo–,

Have you tried verifying your version 4.6.1 of the Editor from the Epic Games Launcher? Does 4.6.1 crash on every single project load, even a new template?

Thanks!

Hey --Jordo–,

I have not heard from you in quite some time. At this time, I must close your thread out as being marked ‘answered’. However, if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this specific topic, do not hesitate to reply back.

Thank you!