[4.5] UMG: 'Clear Options' and 'Remove Option' does not function if a selection has already been set on a ComboBoxString control

Branch: Binary, build 4.5.1

Description:

If you have a ComboBoxString control in your UMG widget, and attempt to dynamically update the options within it, it will only update up until the point the user selects an option from the combo box. Once an option has been selected all calls to ‘Clear Options’ and ‘Remove Option’ no longer function. ‘Add Options’ continues to work fine. In my particular use-case it’s causing my entire editor to crash, but my repro steps aren’t (but does show the broken behavior). The crash only happens after I open the combo box - so it doesn’t appear to be anything specific to my blueprint, just the order in which I’m calling the updates perhaps. As soon as I click the dropdown arrow I see the list of (old, unupdated) options and the editor fully crashes - so long as I don’t click the arrow it never crashes. The exception code is:

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

Repro:

1. Create a new UMG widget/menu, and add a ComboBoxString control to it.
  2. Populate the combo box in the editor with some temp strings (A, B, C, etc)
  3. Create a Button control, and bind a click event to it.
  4. In Blueprint, on the click event, call ‘Clear Options’ on the combo box, then ‘Add Option’ for a few different values (D, E, F, etc).
  5. Launch the game, and first click on the ComboBox arrow to open the dropdown - note the options but do not select one.
  6. Now click the button, and look at the combo box options again - they should have changed to the secondary values.
  7. Restart the game - this time, drop down the ComboBox options and actually select one.
  8. Now press the button and look again at the options. They will not have changed, and will still be the initial values - despite ‘Clear Options’ being called, and new ones added.

Expected:

When ‘Clear Options’ is called, at any time, the ComboBox should clear and any prior selections be reset. I thought I could potentially get around the problem by destroying the ComboBox control and creating a fresh new one - but that does not appear to be possible with Blueprint.

Other notes:

• ‘Get Selected Option’, ‘Get Option at Index’, and ‘Find Option Index’ - while shown in the API documentation, are not available in Blueprint (so there’s no way to poll the control and see what option is currently selected).

Hello Chambered,

I was able to reproduce this issue. I have submitted a report to the developers (Jira UE-4926). Thank you for all of the information you have provided that lead to the discovery of this issue. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it is made available.

Make it a great day

I got the same issue in 4.6.1 it still not fixed

Hello ,

This issue has been fixed internally and will be available in a future release.

Make it a great day

Has the fix for this been pushed out to any of the engines yet?

I ask as I’m an ARK modder and currently working on UI’s and I would like to give the Devs any information I can get so they can implement it in their modified 5.1 engine.

Thanks.

Hello WoefulMacabre,

I went ahead and double checked on this issue for you. This issue has been resolved in the 4.8 version of the engine. I have provided a link to the commit that contains the solution for this issue. I hope that this information helps.

Link: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/79a63fede0aa4e165db7384a2ff9baf7ea03214d

Make it a great day