[4.5] compilation from within editor causes crash

Hello,

I can’t recompile my project from within the editor.

When i launch the editor, i can compile if no modification was done in the code.

But if any (even very minor, and only cpp file of course) modification is done, trying to compile causes a crash after a few seconds.

I still can recompile from visual studio and then relaunch the editor, this works fine, so this is not a compilation error.

Cedric

Hey -

I started a new code based project and followed the steps here: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums for “Creating a GameMode.” After getting the editor to say “Hello World” I went back into visual studios and changed ‘Hello’ to ‘GoodBye’ and was able to recompile inside the editor. What were you changing in your code and has this crash occurred in a fresh project for you or only in your project?

Cheers

Hi ,

I did the same as you and it works well.

My project still doesn’t work though.

It’s a test project (trying to understand slate UI and networking, mainly redoing the tutorials) started in 4.4 (maybe 4.3) and migrated to 4.5.

It seems more random than i initially described. Here is what i have observed until now:

• once it crashed without any modification: i started the editor, clicked on compile and it crashed (could not reproduce that)
  • it never worked after any modification though (only simple displayed text modification, like in your test, nothing fancy)
  • interestingly, if i restart the editor after a modification-compile-crash scenario, the modification is taken into account (without any recompilation from VS), which means the crash occurs after a successful compilation.

So maybe the compilation is out of cause here, something is happening in this particular project, right after a correct compilation, that the editor doesn’t like.

Sorry i have no clean scenario to offer, i will update if i find anything more solid.

Cheers

Cedric

PS:

if i voluntarily introduce an error in the code, it never crashes, i always get the “compile failed” pop up and no crash.

But as soon as i correct the code and compile, it crashes right after the end (and successful, as i can check after a relaunch-play) compilation.

cedric

Another thing to try would be to create a new project in 4.4 and migrate it to 4.5 then add code. Also, if you could add your log files to the post it will give us something to work with in finding the cause of this crash. The following link shows where in the project folder you can find the Logs in the “Editor Session Log” section: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

I have not enough space on my disk for 2 engines (i had to uninstall 4.4 to install 4.5), so i’ll have to clean my disk before trying a migration test.

In the meantime, here are the 2 only log files i could find among the one listed in your link, just after a crash. I also found dump files but they are all older than the last crash.

it appears that it is not a crash but a “StaticShutdownAfterError” occuring right after a fatal error.link text

Hey -

I have entered this crash in our internal tracking system (TTP #349660) for further investigation. Respond here if you are able to test a new project migration. Also, if you have a call stack from when the crash occurred then posting that will help as well.

Cheers

Hi ,

This case can be closed and forgotten.

Just for your info, i think i understood what i did wrong.

I did try to reproduce a 4.4 to 4.5 migration process, but i did it exactly the way i did for my project: i did not go trough a normal migration.

I created the 4.4 project and then uninstalled the 4.4 engine and tried to open the project.

So i was proposed to open it with 4.5 engine, but the window did not have a clean UE4 look, it was a white windows-like window (which is exactly what happened for my project).

The project refused to compile, even in VS, telling me the .generated.cpp contained syntax errors due to some macro not being able to do its job.

I guess my own project was more lucky and could be compiled, but somehow got corrupted in a different way.

For the sake of certainty i reinstalled 4.4, recreated a 4.4 project, then converted it properly to 4.5, and everything worked fine (including editor-compiling).

So all in all the problem is that my project has probably not been converted properly to 4.5.

Next time i will use the regular conversion utility before uninstalling any previous engine version.

This is a test project, so no importance, i will start a fresh one, i still have the code, no real loss here.

Thanks for your help.

Cedric