4.3 to 4.4 Behavior Tree is empty but working

Here are my load errors from my message log.

Thanks. I took your Behavior Tree and put it in a project and graph is showing up fine. Restarting engine did not cause graph to appear empty, either.

When this first occurred, was it in a project you converted from 4.3 to 4.4, or did it begin in 4.4? Would it be possible to get ahold of your project so we can look into it more? Without a reproducible case, we’re at a bit of a loss right now.

first time I saw this error was in 4.4. Unfortunately I can’t remember whether I made Behavior Tree in 4.3 and then converted to 4.4 or whether I made it in 4.4. Anyways, I’m uploading my zipped project now(4.5), I’ll post a link to it when it’s done. BT that is empty in it was a new one I created in 4.5.

My zipped up project:
https://.com/file/d/0Bz7UdWYpXa0hcjg5QUdjdmxCME0/view?usp=sharing

Hi . I’m including my experiences with this issue because I suspect it’s related. I have a project which does not deploy. It has no errors, but several warnings about missing behavior tree editor and files. full logs are here: Build fails. Missing BehaviorTreeEditor? - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

In my case, I enabled experimental behavior tree in 4.2 or 3 and created one incomplete character. I’ve done no further work in behavior tree since porting it to 4.4.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any project files.

While trying to cook for windows, my cook.txt log file was spammed with errors of /Script/BehaviorTreeEditor not found.

There is a line in Engine/Config/BaseEditorUserSettings.ini

In ini file, search for “bBehaviorTreeEditor” and set it to True.

Worked for me :slight_smile:

problem is, our Behavior Trees get empty sometimes, but they still work. We can’t see Nodes etc inside. That’s something else i guess.

I had same problem but after setting bBehaviorTreeEditor to True like paras suggested it fixed my problem.

Hey , so I fixed my problem by setting BehaviorTreeEditor to True in Engine/Config/BaseEditorUserSettings.ini as was suggested in this thread by paras.chaudhary. I checked my BehaviorTree first and it was still empty. Then I made change in ini and now I can see nodes again.

After setting bBehaviorTreeEditor to True, do Behavior Trees show all nodes inside them? @eXi have you tried this yet?

I’m going to forward this information to developers looking into issue. Thanks!

No i havent tried it. last time a looked into project and behavior tree it was fixed by copying 4.3 file. If it goes empty again i will test it.

I remember someone saying this line was for UE4 version where you needed to check BT inside experimental section. Why does this line still effect released versions of BTrees?

Ita 2:25 am in germany. I will have a look at my BT tomorrow(:

I had same problem and followed what paras.chaudhary said,
now warnings are gone and I can see behavior tree.

Hey all,

developers were able to fix this in CL 2329921, so next version of engine should not have this problem. For now, using paras.chaudhary’s solution should fix problem in your current version of engine:

There is a line in
Engine/Config/BaseEditorUserSettings.ini

In ini file, search for
“bBehaviorTreeEditor” and set it to
True.

Thanks for reports everyone, and thanks paras.chaudhary for finding cause!

Hi,
I have this problem in 4.5 . My BHTree was working till then, but now it’s empty (but working).
I applied fix mentionned here but there was no effect.
However, this problem affects only 1 of my assets. other ones are working and showing fine.

I don’t know if i should post here but it gives some history on problem.

thanks !

Jnat

Hi Jnat,

Did you try this already?

There is a line in
Engine/Config/BaseEditorUserSettings.ini
In ini file, search for
“bBehaviorTreeEditor” and set it to
True.

If that didn’t work, try opening a version of project from previous engine version and copying that behavior tree into your newer version, as suggested above.

Hi,
yes I tried above mentioned fix but it did not work.

I don’t have a previous engine version, I have been working only on 4.5, no migration involved here. It just 'happened"

Would you mind uploading your project somewhere and sending me a link to it? We’d like to look into it further to see if we can find cause; if you aren’t statically loading assets from code, this shouldn’t be happening in 4.5. If you would prefer to keep project private, you can send me a link to it via forums. Thanks!

Hi , I sent a message directly to you on forums.

Upgraded to 4.6 from 4.5 today and asset is still empty.
I abandonned this asset a long time ago so it’s ok now, but it was strange to see it get invalid.

Thanks for update, Jnat. We’re still not sure what caused this, but it hasn’t been reported with assets created in 4.6 yet so we’re hoping it’s been resolved. Please let us know if it happens again now that you’ve updated. Thanks!