I’m working on a game devlopment team for a non-profit project, and am rather new to Unreal and C++, myself.
Most of my teammates use Windows, and I use Linux, and am partly responsible for ensuring that the project will compile and run for Linux in the future.
One way I felt that this would make sense to do, is to simply do what I usually do, and work on the system I use daily; however, I came to a surprising yet irritating issue where I couldn’t open the project due to a few nasty compiling issues:
- The Linux compiled engine claims that my team and I are using different engine versions, so it forces me to “convert” the project even though we’re all using the same release version of the engine (4.26.1)
- When it does try to “convert” the project, it either fails claiming that it can’t complete the compilation because doing so would “replace engine files(??)” and ask if I want to open the log with “NullSourceAcess(???);” or it claims that “Linux isn’t a valid build target”
- If I try to run the Makefile in the project myself, then it compiles what it wants, but attempting to open the project afterwards just crashes the editor
- I looked around a little bit about this issue somewhere (it was very difficult to find info regarding this and was I heard of this thirdhand) but supposedly this unnecessary “project conversion” for this particular circumstance is due to some kind of oversight in the engine code that perceives in a wide-swathe that ALL different versions and operating systems are different versions of the engine instead of just different versions
- This aside, there’s also the project C++ module that also refuses to compile for, what I imagine might even be the same reason, but I honestly wouldn’t know
- And as for the “NullSourceAcess” oddity I mentioned, it supposedly doesn’t detect what installed IDE I have? (I have KDevelop installed)
All of this has made my 1st experience with UE4 hell, in a manner of speaking.
These are gaping holes in Linux-editor compatibility and even Unity does this better…
I hope these issues get fixed ASAP, but in the meantime if anyone can help me, I’d greatly appreciate it.