4.24 failed to build with Chaos enabled

Any ideas how to fix this error?

1>--------------------Project: Default-------------------------------------------
1>** For UE4Editor-Win64-Development **
1>Module.Engine.10_of_45.cpp (13:01.51 at +0:00)
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsSQ\Public\SQVerifier.h(286): error C2664: 'uint32 FindFaceIndex(const FHitLocation &,const FVector &)': cannot convert argument 1 from 'ChaosInterface::FSweepHit' to 'const FHitLocation &'
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsSQ\Public\SQVerifier.h(286): note: Reason: cannot convert from 'ChaosInterface::FSweepHit' to 'const FHitLocation'
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsSQ\Public\SQVerifier.h(286): note: No user-defined-conversion operator available that can perform this conversion, or the operator cannot be called
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsCore\Public\PhysicsInterfaceUtilsCore.h(170): note: see declaration of 'FindFaceIndex'
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsSQ\Public\SQVerifier.h(286): error C2789: 'FaceIdx': an object of const-qualified type must be initialized
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\PhysicsSQ\Public\SQVerifier.h(286): note: see declaration of 'FaceIdx'
1>
1>Error executing E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Build\Windows\cl-filter\cl-filter.exe (tool returned code: 2)
1>Module.GeometryCollectionEngine.cpp (14:23.42 at +0:00)
1>E:/UE_4.23/UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1948): error C2440: 'initializing': cannot convert from 'FPhysScene *' to 'Chaos::FPhysScene_ChaosInterface *'
1>E:/UE_4.23/UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1948): note: Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
1>E:/UE_4.23/UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1949): error C2027: use of undefined type 'Chaos::FPhysScene_ChaosInterface'
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\ChaosSolvers\Public\PBDRigidsSolver.h(64): note: see declaration of 'Chaos::FPhysScene_ChaosInterface'
1>E:/UE_4.23/UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1952): error C2039: 'GetScene': is not a member of 'FPhysScene_PhysX'
1>E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\Physics/PhysicsInterfaceUtils.h(11): note: see declaration of 'FPhysScene_PhysX'
1>
1>Error executing E:\UE_4.23\UnrealEngine-4.24.0-release\Engine\Build\Windows\cl-filter\cl-filter.exe (tool returned code: 2)
1>---------------------- Done ----------------------
1>
1>    Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped
1>
1>1 build system warning(s):
1>   - Temporary license has expired
1>
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
1>Done building project "UE4.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 2 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Not sure why you’re getting that compile error (cannot convert argument), but perhaps the “Temporary license has expired” warning/error is due to you not being signed in to Visual Studio.

Doug_Richardson
Nope, that’s message from IncrediBuild, that my Trial has expired, that’s don’t cause error.

Looks like others have same errors:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1695917-unreal-engine-4-24-released?p=1696261#post1696261
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1695917-unreal-engine-4-24-released?p=1696262#post1696262
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1695917-unreal-engine-4-24-released?p=1696277#post1696277
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1695917-unreal-engine-4-24-released?p=1696502#post1696502

I face the same error in 4.24.1-release:

51>  [2880/3459] Module.GeometryCollectionEngine.cpp
51>C:/Users/Frieder/source/UnrealEngine-4.24.1/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1948): error C2440: 'initializing': cannot convert from 'FPhysScene *' to 'Chaos::FPhysScene_ChaosInterface *'
51>  C:/Users/Frieder/source/UnrealEngine-4.24.1/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1948): note: Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
51>C:/Users/Frieder/source/UnrealEngine-4.24.1/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1949): error C2027: use of undefined type 'Chaos::FPhysScene_ChaosInterface'
51>  C:\Users\Frieder\source\UnrealEngine-4.24.1\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\ChaosSolvers\Public\PBDRigidsSolver.h(64): note: see declaration of 'Chaos::FPhysScene_ChaosInterface'
51>C:/Users/Frieder/source/UnrealEngine-4.24.1/Engine/Source/Runtime/Experimental/GeometryCollectionEngine/Private/GeometryCollection/GeometryCollectionComponent.cpp(1952): error C2039: 'GetScene': is not a member of 'FPhysScene_PhysX'
51>  C:\Users\Frieder\source\UnrealEngine-4.24.1\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\Physics/PhysicsInterfaceUtils.h(11): note: see declaration of 'FPhysScene_PhysX'
51>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
51>Done building project "UE4.vcxproj" -- FAILED.

I have the same problem. Running under Debug Editor, I can’t compile the engine with bCompileChaos = true. I have to turn it off in order to get the engine to compile. I was running off of UE 4.23.0 and just upgraded to UE 4.24.1.

Hello,
Any progress about this, could anyone compile Chaos on 4.24.1?

dmon_shiver
I guess not.

Happy Christmas! And got any progress?

Got an answer from Epic Games, worked for me:

Thanks, It works.

Hey , where was this answer? Have looked over the AnswerHub and UDN and couldn’t find it.

Cheers.

The docs all point to 4.23. Unreal seems to change alot from version to version.

Have you found 4.24 to be an improvement over 4.23 when using the Chaos Engine?

Thanks!

dont work…i have write

bCompileChaos = true;
bUseChaos = true;

dont work hmmm…

1 Like

This worked here.

In Source/ChaosDestructionDemo.Target.cs add:

bUseChaos = true;

1 Like

I added

bCompileChaos = true;
bUseChaos = true;

Into my UE4.24.2 Editor target file…

Tried to compile Development Editor, Win64 ad UE4 as Start Project…

Always get this Errors… and Compiling failed… Any ideas?

Saying: C2106, “=” Left Operand has to be L-Value - in PhysInterface_Chaos.cpp Line 127

I have the same … after changing “Particles.Disabled” to “Particles.DisabledRef” on that line with the error then I can compile it. No idea if it runs yet though …

2 Likes

I have exactly the same Error.
I tried to reinstall VS 2017 and 2019. Tried to download from Github and set up an clean pre-buil setup. I tried to do this all as an Administrator (only my user accounf allready is an Admin on my Windows 8.1 mashine).
But nothing solved the problem.

I added like allready mentioned “Ref” to the coding line. Builds without problems, but it is unclear if the Change has any impact on the functionality of UE4 with Chaos.

Update1: Unreal Engine Editor doesnt start after Build (Build with added Ref).

Update2: Solved: Works for 4.23.1. Should look like this and it will build, start the engine and chaos works.

You should stick to 4.23 for now with Chaos.
It is impossible to use Chaos in 4.24 (assuming you managed to compile it) because the game will always crash when you have a geometry collection in your level.

I heard it’s still not working in 4.25. Look the last pages of this forum thread : https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre…o-enable-chaos