4.23.1 VR template fails with world composition

Easiest replication is to use the VR template for a new project.
Load the MotionController Map
in World settings, turn on world composition
Run Preview in VR Mode.
The teleport fails, hands don’t align.

I originally found this in my project when I replaced teleport with a simple joystick locomotion which worked until I needed gravity. When I changed my parent class for the VR Pawn from Pawn to Character, the level fails to load, skews, and hands disappear.

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

After a lot of trial and error I found that this isn’t a bug after all. It is related to the character now having a kill distance when falling. I found that when you move the landscapes to transform Z of 0, it is the top of the landscape (mountain tops in my case) which is at 0 and the actual ground was several thousand down. So I would spawn and the engine would see my character at -2000 and kill it.

I moved my entire landscape up so that the bottom was at 0 (Z transform of 2000) and now I have hands in VR and can control the character again.