4.20 crashing days after release

Some 30 minutes to create a new folder, import an FBX and get the mesh into my Scene.
You basically have to save all after doing anything to get in before a crash.

@losses This is something odd. I have been doing a project from scratch, adding folders, creating materials and material functions and nothing happened as described above. I have also switched later to the new Material Layer system and was even hoping to have some crash, but all is doing fine till now and see that I have totally converted the material setup created to the new layering system, with no crash (using 4.20.2).

Are those insta-crash jumping out of the crash-dump screen? Are you able to at least send the crash-dump?

losses is also experiencing crashes covered by Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-51650)

I found that if you have a laptop and it is running on Intel, for some reason (UE4 and Intel paired up to better “utilize” the Intel core) it will decided to utilize the Intel’s CPU instead of your graphics card. Switch your preferred settings for your laptop’s graphics card to high performance on Battery and Plugged in. I’ve had it working like this for a long time, and haven’t experienced the crash ever again, however I have to keep my laptop plugged in. If the laptop isn’t plugged in, regardless of any settings I’ve messed with, it won’t utilize the high performance graphics card and trying to do anything that would normally be a simple thing GPU wise will kill your Intel CPU and crash the engine.

TLDR: Set your Graphics settings to High Performance on Plugged In/ Charger and always keep it plugged in when working with the Engine.

Hope this helps you guys the same way it helped me.

That’s not an issue with UE4, by default if you have a computer with both the integrated Intel GPU and a separate Nvidia or AMD gpu then it will try to automatically choose which GPU to use so that it can use the low-power Intel GPU for low-power situations. However, I’ve found that Windows does not do a good job of managing that and it’s better to just set it to use the Nvidia/AMD gpu for everything.

When I had a machine with integrated gpu, a lifetime ago, I would just disable it on Windows device manager

Tell me about it! I get to a certain point using the Udemy course one minute it works fine the next off it goes! The thing that gets me upset is that it has been going on since I think version 4.17 right up to version 4.21.1. It’s still happening! So hopefully the next update will FINALLY resolve the crashing issue along with a updated VS 2019 that’s out in the coming months! Right about now though I’m not holding much hope for it to be resolved by then! As of a few minutes ago it opens the editor but then it just closes or shuts down. It’s a good engine that helps understanding how to use C++/Blueoprints to bring up a workable demo, however if and when it keeps on crashing it’s simply not worth the effort to try and get something stable to show! Oh well it looks like I’ll be twiddling my thumbs again until the NEXT update comes along!

UE4.21.1 will probably still receive hotfixes before UE4.22. , so I would just recommend for production purposes to use the latest stable release, so now it would be UE4.20.3. So far, the only not recommended release would be UE 4.19.x, but all others are OK to start a project. Trying to create something on the latest active release can always come to point of having severe issues that can put your project on a hold status.