4.14 Cannot open project anymore

Hi Justice777

My C++ code had some problems and was stopping the editor from launching my project. I thought that if the custom C++ code has bugs, then UE4 will not show my C++ classes in the Editor, or not compile the c++ classes at all, but in Unreal’s case, the editor will not launch the project at all if the C++ code is buggy. This is one of the very scary quirks of UE. I can suggest a temporary workaround and it worked for me. See if this works for you.

Here is the temporary workaround:

1. Save a copy of your YourProject.uproject file somewhere safe before proceeding.
  2. In the YourProject.uproject config file, look for the section named ‘Modules’. Here is the pic of a sample .uproject

1. Under the ‘Modules’ section, remove any mention of your C++ project from the “Modules” section. Here is the pc showing your c++ project removed from the Modules section:

119413-uprojectfilewithemptymodules.png

1. Move your c++ project folder from under Sources folder to some other folder outside your UE project.
  2. Now try starting your project.

Since your C++ project references have been removed from YourProject.uproject, UE4 will not try building your C++ project and will launch your project without your c++ classes.

This works for me. However, please note that I did not have much code and it was easy for me create a new c++ class from the UE4 editor and proceed with the compilation. The main problem is figuring out the dependencies.

Let me know if this helps.