4.13 Released!

[= Ellis;588361]
Hi .

Since this may be an issue that requires further investigation, please create a Bug Report on the UE4 Answerhub. Our staff will follow-up there to determine if there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Thanks
[/]

Hi ,

It’s done. :slight_smile:

[]
Enabling the “Forward Shading” option in Project Settings… Can we use MSAA for antialiasing??
[/]

Not in 4.13

[=;588348]
is this it, or are there more improvements planned?
this doesn’t really help much with the issue of tessellation having a very high base cost (even if tessellation multiplier is 0 and there’s effectively zero tessellation going on)

also as someone mentioned, this can be a feature regression. is this optional or forced? otherwise you cannot use tessellation to “re-subdivide” landscapes where LOD is too strong (but only want to subdivide selectively)
[/]

answering one of my own questions with this: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-35097) - good that it’s still there, and really hope this makes it to 4.14

still I’m curious if this new 4.13 “tessellation only for the highest LOD” is optional or force

I’ve got few issues with conversion my project from 4.12 to 4.13. is that 3D widgets stopped working. I had whole menu made with 3D widgets :frowning:

Really glad to see draw material to render target feature, and shadow map caching. Disappointed that landscape tessellation issue was left unaddressed.

Exec pins are now missing from collapsed graphs. Is that intended?

[=serioussam909;588434]
Exec pins are now missing from collapsed graphs. Is that intended?
[/]

I had the same issue after conversion. I had to make new pins for all collapsed nodes. Although I’m not sure if it affected all blueprints.

Thanks Epic !

Best Regards.

[=;588377]
Ouch, typing “custom” in Blueprint no longer brings “Add custom event”, it brings “SuggestVelocityProjectile CustomArc”. It’s killing me xD
[/]

Yeah, that’s not good :frowning:

[=;588309]
Will the new hair example showed at Siggraph be released soon?

[/]

What’s with the neck lol, nice hair though!

Yay wonderful job!!! :slight_smile:

[=;588377]
Ouch, typing “custom” in Blueprint no longer brings “Add custom event”, it brings “SuggestVelocityProjectile CustomArc”. It’s killing me xD
[/]

Now THAT is something that really requires a hotfix from my POV. Seriously, i use “custom” pretty often and if this doesnt find the correct node…

Hey so I’ve got a question regarding Cached Shadowmaps. From ehat I understand you can only get cached shadows from point and spotlights. Is there a reason why you can’t do so for sky and directional lights? Also the lights require to be set to dynamic in order for cached shadowmaps to work. Might it not be an idea to have all lights set to static and only have specified objects cast cached dynamic shadows instead?

[]
SceneComponent AttachChildren, AttachParent, AttachSocketName are now private. Use GetAttachChildren/Parent/SocketName, AttachTo, or SetupAttachment as appropriate.
[/]

I hope some day you will stop messing with attach functions.

[]
New: Added a DEPRECATED_MACRO deprecation macro for deprecating macros.
[/]

I really like how it is presented =)

[=;588218]
indeed!
also this overlap makes every mesh get rendered in each of the cascades, increasing drawcalls and unneeded depth/polygon rendering/processing!
this causes a noticeable performance drop in scenes with a lot of foliage
[/]

Any official statement regarding this issue? It’s quite a big deal both in terms of quality / performance… Showing the global shadowmap you can see just how much waste there is. Also, a nice side effect of the other method of CSM is that wherever your view is, the shadows will be perfect around it, like if you’re on top of a building or something, your shadow will be perfect on the ground around your view even if it’s 1000m below (if it’s like a third person game or something) where as right now the cascade selection is based on distance and even if your shadow exists in the higher res ones, the lower one is sampled at a distance… I always thought it looks worse to have cascades which are more “localised” instead of making use of the full orthographic view distance.

[=;588595]
Hey so I’ve got a question regarding Cached Shadowmaps. From ehat I understand you can only get cached shadows from point and spotlights. Is there a reason why you can’t do so for sky and directional lights? Also the lights require to be set to dynamic in order for cached shadowmaps to work. Might it not be an idea to have all lights set to static and only have specified objects cast cached dynamic shadows instead?
[/]

For directional lights you can do it, but it still requires updating on a frame-time basis because of the view dependent aspect. Cryengine has this optimisation, where it will only update far away shadow cascades at half the fps of the regular updates. It’d be nice to have that support on far cascades at least (unless it’s already part of those? I don’t know as I’ve not played with them) and really handy for things like point and spotlight optimisations, it’d be nice to have an update interval which can be set per-light. Scalability options for these things would be nice too, there’s a new fade out setting which is nice, but it needs to have fading of shadows and the actual light as separate settings because a lot of times you only want to fade the shadows out (or fall back to static shadowmap, this would be a really good feature to have for open world games - games like GTA use the prior optimisation, sadly they haven’t bothered to add a fallback to a static shadow.)

For skylight, I think that with dynamic DFAO shadows it’s not possible as they’re view reliant, but maybe there could be some more optimisations there too. It’d be really nice if regular lights could have direct lighting using shadowmaps, and indirect using DFSS. I think the general graduation is going towards further refining the new capsule shadow indirect lighting to support DFSS in indirect.

Major problem!!! 4.13 absolutely destroyed one of my rooms in my level… it was originally a room created by grouping or attaching other rooms and then duplicating and mirroring them to the other side of the building… Was fine in 4.12… on convert to 4.13… well look at the screenshots… 1st is correct screenshot… 2nd is what 4.13 did to my mirrored rooms.

Answers post here… lookn for help…

[= Ellis;588315]
We’re not releasing the same asset, but are working on a new one. It’s on the way, but not immediately.

Cheers
[/]

Sigh… been waiting so long for a proper hair example already. got my hopes up in this thread :frowning:

I tried the new es3.1 feature,however,the game crashed immediately;here’s the link

Also,I have encountered a strange BUG concerning DOF on metal enabled mobile:

Thanks! [MENTION=9] Ellis[/MENTION]

[=;588377]
[/]

Hey ,

I have reproduced the issue and have entered a bug report, which you can track here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-35512)

Thank you for your report.