[4.13] Importing tiled landscape consumes all the ram

Hi everybody,

im currently developing a massive landscape. (100km * 100 km).
It is composed of 49x49 tiles, that are ~8MB + 4 layer ~3MB wich results in a total of 20MB per tile.
The correspondig umap file is ~13MB in size.
But now comes the problem. When i start the import the engine just consumes more and more ram until it crashes. I tried this on my littly 16gb ram home computer, that gives up every 2 rows. I tried this a bigger machine 96gb ram that can handle a couple of more rows, but no difference in the end.
The import crashes and i need to restart it where it left off. Even after i imported just a “small” chunk + saving and unloading of everything, consumption is still on >20gb ram.
The main problem i got here is that i cant import my map on my home computer, which is kinda annoying but not the worst. (Well i could but this would take ages)
Thanks for looking into this.

Windows 10 Pro x64 / Windows Server 2008
Version: 4.13.0-3106830+++UE4+Release-4.13

Best regards,

Hi Ditma1,

• Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content?
  • What steps can I take to reproduce this on my end?
  • How long does it take for the editor to crash?
  • What type of files are you trying to import? (.png, .raw, .raw16, etc.)
  • Can you post your crash logs and callstack here so I can take a look? The crash logs can be found at \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs\ and the callstack should appear in the crash report window after the editor crashes. If none appears on screen after the crash, please let me know this.
  • Can you post your dxdiag here?
  • Are you using the Anniversary edition of Windows 10?

Hi ,

Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content?

Yes it does.

How long does it take for the editor to crash?

Until im out of memory + swapfile is filling the harddrive.

What type of files are you trying to import? (.png, .raw, .raw16, etc.)

The world is a .r16 + 4 layers that are .raw

Can you post your crash logs and callstack here so I can take a look? The crash logs can be found at \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs\ and the callstack should appear in the crash report window after the editor crashes. If none appears on screen after the crash, please let me know this.

A crash report does not show up on the screen, it just terminates. Please find the logs attached: [logs][1] this is a 7zip file containing 3 log files: The “MyProject-backup-2016.09.05-06.08.18.log” and “MyProject-backup-2016.09.05-21.48.56.log” contain actual crashes. The “MyProject-backup-2016.09.05-16.40.21.log” is from that time i imported a couple of tiles and ended up with 20 gb ram consumption after i unloaded everything.

Can you post your dxdiag here?

Sure be aware these are two machines:

Are you using the Anniversary edition of Windows 10?

Yes i do.

continue next post:

What steps can I take to reproduce this on my end?

1. Download tiles.7z.log → rename → extract
  2. Duplicate all files 49x49 times (2401 files per world/layer maybe more depends on how much ram you got) and name them accordingly x00 to x48 and y00 to y48 (sorry, but i can’t upload a 60 GB map)
  3. Create a new empty project, add a map with world composition
  4. Open Import tiled landscape window.
  5. Select all of the world tiles (count 2401)
  6. Set z-scale to 400
  7. Select the WorldShowLayer material
  8. Select All cliffs/dirt/plains/waterbed accordingly (also 2401 files each)
  9. Start importing
  10. Wait an 1-5 Hours depending on your system.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,

Unfortunately, this is not a test we will be able to reasonably run. With a 60gb+ tiled map, I would expect there to be slowdown to complete freeze during this process. You will either need to break up the landscape into more manageable chunks for importing or use a significantly more powerful PC to be able to handle the import process. Try loading less tiles, are you still receiving the same error?

If if try to load the map chunk wise (100 blocks at once) it works fine, but the memory consumption stays high after loading. It looks like the memory used for importing the tiled map is not given back to the operating system nor reused within the editor (tell me if im wrong). If i load multiple chunks in one after another the ram consumption goes higher and higher. If i restart the editor afterwards and reload the project i get the expected ram consumption.

I only have 32gig ram on my pc and I can load a 64x64 tiled landscapes made with L3DT Pro,
on disk they are 28mb each and my total map is over 30 miles wide and i cant seem to get an error like you are. the most ram i seem to use having all 64x64 map tiles is 1.7gig ram.
and my gpu runs at 20fps and i knly have a 1 gig gpu with SHARED memory.
You might want to RE-Export your landscape with whatever program you used to make it. as it probably had an error RENDERING it to disk. I suggest doing a NEW render of your landscape and see if it has the same issues.
I had this issue long ago where ONE tile had not rendered properly and that caused some issues loading the terrain.
and caused alot of crashes.

I also suggest rendering while using an
SSD and not a standard HDD as before i got my new SSD(solid state drive) I always had issues rendering maps in other programs like World Machine and L3DT pro.I suggest RE-Export your terrain.

Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce anything like this on our end. Overall, it sounds as though the issue is in the size and quantity of information being imported at one time. The best suggestion that can be offered at present is to break up the import into chunks as described earlier and then save and restart the editor if it is still holding onto that information. For now, I am marking this as answered for tracking purposes, if you find another method for me to reproduce this on my end, please let me know and I’ll take another look.