4.10 pre-release content incompatible with 4.10 release

I updated my Linux copy of 4.10 from a pre-release version to the new 4.10 release. What I found is that the two are incompatible with each other – namely, the package versions are different. The pre-release used package version 487 and the release version is 482. The editor will not load assets of later versions which means I am unable to load about 2/3 of my assets. This includes animations, maps, and blueprints.

The problem (in part) seems to be with changes that took place in the EUnrealEngineObjectUE4Version enum table in ObjectVersion.h. I tried adding the missing entries to the table to force the version up to 487, but that just caused other asserts to trip:

[2015.11.14-16.13.25:353] 0]LogLinux:Error: appError called: Assertion failed: Assertion failed: [File:/work/unreal/UnrealEngine_4.10/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/LinkerLoad.cpp] [Line: 4225]
Bad name index -2/114

This is really annoying. I have weeks of work which is now inaccessible and unusable.

From the Unreal 4.10 preview thread:

That’s not helpful.

At the very least it will help prevent you from making the same mistake in the future. :slight_smile: Never use preview releases for actual development.