[4.10] Hud DrawMaterial() not rendering in Android

Upon moving my project to UE 4.10 the materials that I draw to my HUD have stopped rendering when packaged for Android (etc1). My GUI uses DrawMaterial() to save code space, display effects, and save on texture space. Consequently, my HUD is practically blank now.

After converting all my HUD materials to be UI Materials, they started to render in the PIE and Mobile Preview, but whenever I package for Android and run on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3), the materials stop rendering. Am I missing something important, or is this a bug with the engine?

I’ve been fiddling around with different options, and nothing seems to work. It’s not impacted by: dynamic vs. static materials, surface vs. UI materials, translucent vs. masked vs. opaque, or any combination of the above. I suppose there are still many options that are untested in general when it comes to rendering, such as turning on mobile HDR, though it’s difficult to know which ones might impact the problem.

The problem also persists in a new project.

Hello Nefusadi,

I have a few questions for you that will help narrow down what issue it is that you are experiencing.

Quick questions:

  1. Can you reproduce this issue in a clean project?
  2. If so, could you provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this issue on our end?
  3. Could you provide screen shots of any blueprints that may be involved with this issue?
  4. Could you provide the exact OS that is currently running on the device that is experiencing this issue?

How to replicate in a new project:

  1. Create a new material, set type to User Interface, and plug in a constant color node to the final color. (optionally do transparency. both fail)

  1. Add a new HUD class to the game mode. Create an Event HUD Receive Draw node. Add a DrawMaterial() node and set it up to use the material from (1).

  1. Launch on device, or package/install/run on device.

This is what’s expected:

This is what I get:

Running Android 4.3 on Samsung Galaxy S3

Project type was ThirdPersonBlueprint, mobile target, scalable 2D/3D, no starter content.

Thank you for the information that was provided. I was unable to reproduce this issue on our end with a similar phone. I have requested an example project be tested on a Samsung S3. While waiting on the results I have a few more questions for you.

Quick questions:

  1. Can you provide the logs from your Samsung S3?
  2. Do you have any other devices that you could try and reproduce this issue on?
  3. If so, could you provide the results of those tests?

Update: I tested this on the Samsung S3 and was unable to reproduce the issue that you are seeing. There was a slight difference however, I did not use transparency. If you remove the transparency does this issue still occur?

Hello Nefusadi,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

Here is a zip file containing a NewProject that is giving me the error, along with an APK and OBB that I have run on my phone that’s for sure not rendering the material.

Also, here’s a logcat dump that captures the running of my main app in development mode that has the problem. The app name is HarbingerOfTruth.

Project: Google Drive: Sign-in

I’ve tested Harbinger of Truth on 3 Devices. My samsung, an LG, and a Nexus 9. The issue was present on all of them.

I was able to reproduce this issue with the project provided. I have written up a report ( UE-23990) and I have submitted it to the developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day