3rd person Playmobil sword-fighting game

Hey!

Ive been learning and experimenting with UE4 for a little while now, and made a video to show my progress.

Im not really planning on making a full game from what you see here, but I am using this to create the core mechanics such as the movement and combat system, which can be used in later games.

Here you can find my description of the combat system I am working on.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?65263-Advanced-Sword-Combat-System-(Help-welcomed)

If you like what you see feel free to send me a message and let me know what you think.

I would also love to get people involved with the creation of the combat system If anyone is interested. I am only an animator, so anyone is welcome to help :slight_smile:

This looks fantastic. Really fluid and dynamic and, like, just fun to play and look at. Would you be willing to share (or even charge for) this when you feel it’s ready?

Hey thanks man! That means a lot. Its really simple actually, and its not something I feel the need to keep a secret, as Ive shown the Blueprints in the video. So no, I doubt I would charge for this, but hey once I perfect everything including the combat then who knows. It uses the built in movement component, which in my mind is a good choice, since I could eventually replicate it over the network for multi-player (Distant future). I had thought about using root motion for the movement of the capsule, so I could eliminate most foot sliding, but then I would lose some control over movement. So all I had to do was figure out good speeds for the capsule movement, (I use 150 centimeters per second for walk, 300 centimeters per second for run, and 600 centimeters per second for sprint) and create the animations in Maya to move at those speeds, so everything looks good and there is minimal foot sliding.

All of the movement uses a single 2D blend-space, which includes all of the strafing animations. All I had to do was change the Orient Rotation to Movement setting in the movement component when I wanted to, and strafing naturally happens.

You should check out my plans for the combat system as well, and tell me what you think. The link under the video should bring you there.

PS. I wish I could live in Alaska :smiley:

Alaska is the bee’s knees.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread and its partner – I’m terrible with animations and I haven’t a clue how to implement a combat system, so your work is especially cool to me.

What kind of stuff do you do in Unreal? Programming, Level design, modeling?

Let me rephrase – I’m terrible with everything, including animations. I jumped aboard the Unreal bandwagon less than a month ago. I’m a complete noob.

I have a passing familiarity with Blender, enough to make, rig and animate crude models, but that’s about it.

Your “Join Date” reads November 2014. Is that how long you’ve had the engine? How long did it take you to set up the system you’re showing off now?

Yeah I joined back in November, and started learning how to use it. I started the system around a month ago, but havent put too too much time into it. A little here, a little there. The most time consuming part is probably the animations. At least, It can be the most work depending on how you look at it. I had to do alot of testing with all of the BP nodes and also with the animgraph to get it to function how I would like it too. It still needs a lot of work.

Really fantastic, love the little head turns thanks for sharing!, off to read the combat system stuff.

Alright Thanks!