3rd Person Character Jump Animation

Hey all,

complete noob here trying to figure things out.
I have followed several tutorials on how to set up your own character.
Everything works fine but I’m not happy with the Jump part.

I understand that by using a montage, you have better control over the animation but the end result in my case looks too funky.

I got the animations from mixamo and the jump animation really has no loopable section while in mid air.
By constraining the loop in the montage to the apex frame it looks somewhat ok but not very natural.

Instead, I was thinking of using a plain simple “Play Animation” for the jump, which looks more natural, but after the animation plays the character gets frozen and does not revert to the previous state.

Any way of doing it this way? or is montage the best option?

Feel free to take a look at the diagram below
Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

I would look at the third person animation blueprint and follow the logic structure there with the state machine and just replace the jump animation there for you own.
There you can also set JumpStart and JumpEnd, which might be difficult to do and make it look nice with montages.

hey nameLive,

thx for your quick reply… I’ll definitely take a look at that, I’m assuming it’s on YT?
Also, how would that work if I only have 1 jump animation? Do I need to chop it up myself and break it into 2 or 3 parts?

you can use 1 animation for all 3 states.or delete 2 other states and just make if jumping play jump if not jumping go back to normal state