3dsMax Vray to UE4 via Datasmith = lights too bright

I have same issue, but i found what cause this effect in my chase. 1. Use candelas or unitless In 3ds max 2. In detail panel datasmith light bp, select point light component and in detail panel uncheck “Use IES Intensity”
[SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

In 4.21 you can use this new parameter:

This will auto range the exposure to wider luminances.

I’m having the same issue, but the above parameter doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I haven’t had luck with this parameter either. Is there any other way to control the DatasmithAreaLightMesh? Even with the new parameter check and all intensities set to 0, they still look like extremely bright light emissions.

Having this issue, very irritating and not something that seems to happen in tutorials. Coming from vray and max. Any ideas how to fix this

I’m curious about something: If the emissions issue were solved, are you all happy with the Vray light translation? If so, can you share what Vray lights you are using for your scenes?

Nearly all of our work is office interiors, and the Vray lights I use are always large mesh or rectangular. These still translate very poorly from a shape and direction standpoint (hyper bright emission as well), and I’ve just accepted the fact that it’s faster (and far better) to quickly place Unreal lights around the scene. As we grow more comfortable and start to formally adopt Unreal Studio into our workflow, we will save a step and just stop building lights in Vray anyway. My goal is to totally get away from CPU based traditional rendering. I just can’t imagine a future Datasmith release that will manage to adequately replicate Vray lighting. For instance, why does a standard Vray rectangular light translate into a spotlight with Datasmith - that is also throwing light up onto the ceiling? Why can’t it simply use a rectangular Unreal light? Bizarre!

There will be big improvements in VRay lighting support in 4.22. We’ll address many of the common problems, including using the new area light feature introduced in 4.20

We are currently working on fixing Bright light issues :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the coming fixes for Vray imports as most of my arch vis work is in Vray + 3ds Max

Is this vray light problem already fixed?

Excuse me, how does your camera parameters remain the same as in MAX?

a few improvements have been made with 4.22 in this area:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Studio/Builds/UnrealStudioReleaseNotes4_22

Still having this problem in 2019. Unbelievable… UE4 4.22.3 and nothing. They didn`t fix it. No matter what type of light I use, it goes way up. What a nightmare man…

unreal engine 4.23 coming with solution to this issue. looking forward to it.

did you update the max datasmith export plugin as well?